Thread: Struggling with choking/ mucus in throat feeling afraid of anxiety medication

Question Struggling with choking/ mucus in throat feeling afraid of anxiety medication

Hi all,

I have been struggling with this constant mucus in throat/ lump feeling on and off for the last 18 months. I'm tired of it all now and I think I should be taking the meds I was prescribed ( Lorazepam 0.50) as this is becoming too much. It seems silly that help is out there and I feel too afraid of take it. I keep thinking it is going to cause me breathing difficulties and my anxiety is going to get worse.

Is there anyone taking this medicine for panic throat-related symptoms?

Thank you all in advance

Re: Struggling with choking/ mucus in throat feeling afraid of anxiety medication

Hi I've suffered with this for years in fact I'm awake right now struggling with it at 3.30 in the morning :( it makes me panic as it clogs in my throat until I feel like I cant breathe.

I'm not sure what the medication is that you've been given but I have found the best medication to reduce it is efferfescent ranitidine. Mine is caused by stomach acid (I dont get heartburn by the way I have silent reflux) and also by a post nasal drip.

I would ask your doctor for help with possible reflux/post nasal drip. Theres obviously a cause for your excessive mucus which your anxiety is exacerbating but I dont think your anxiety is causing it. I really think its just down to an allergy or stomach acid, which stomach acid can be made worse by anxiety too. Definitely get help for both to ease your symptoms I understand how horrible it is. Also try to drink as much water as you can everyday to thin your mucus and lie sitting up in bed if you can.

Thread Information