Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 mgs not working. When will this end

300 mgs not working. When will this end

Im on 300mgs over a week now and whilst I have noticed improveemnts with every increase, I am still not me and can't do most things still.
    I can go out for walks and I go into town to push myself but still get dizzy in there and end up leaving. I can't talk to people (seems to be my major issue at the moment). Whenever I have to get in conversation I get so dizzy and can't hold my head up straight from the heavy dizziness that comes over me then the panic starts. Once I am out of the situation I normalise straight away which is good as before i would still be in a panic state and would take ages to come down from it.
    I need to be fully better though. I need to be carefree and go wherever and definitely be able to talk to people!!!

I am pretty sure the therapeutic dose if aprox 450? I was hoping I woild only need a small dose but looks like I am more mental than I thought
    A bit worried too that taking pregabalin long term might not be good?

Would be good if anyone knew more about this.

Thanks for reading

Re: 300 mgs not working. When will this end

I am on 150mgs but it took about 2 months before I felt myself. Do not panic. There is no such thing as a quick fix. Give it more time for it to get into your system. The fact that you can do more now than before is a good sign. I'm sure it will get better over time.

I started on 50mg a day and gradually went up by 50mg every few days till I got to 300mg. Initially I thought it was great and at least I could sleep and felt ok enough to eat a bit again, panic attacks reduced.

That didn't last long though unfortunately so I increased up to 450 over the next month. The psychiatrist said 600mg is often the dose that people get the full effect at so I thought screw it, I'm not really getting any terrible side effects so I went up to 600mg.

So to give it a timeline:

I started it in October last year. Barely able to eat, laying down most of the day, hardly able to leave the house. Panic attacks 2-3 times a week.

By Christmas I was able to sit down with the in-laws and have Christmas dinner (I didn't have any booze since I don't really dare mix pregabalin and alcohol).

I'm still on it now at the same dose and I'm able to work 5 days a week (only 4-5 hours but whatever). I have an average of 1 panic attack every 6 weeks. In fact I can't remember the last one now.

The only other medication I have is a small supply of diazepam to help me regain my confidence to do things again. I haven't had to take for a panic attack or high anxiety at all in months.

There's on big caveat though. I started Therapy (physiatrist for the pregabalin and diazepam and psychologist for CMBT and general talking therapy) at the same time.

So who's to say which has "worked?". I feel the pregabalin slowed my mind down a bit and gave it time to "heal" a bit so I could start to actually think more clearly/sensibly again but I feel the long term gains have mostly come from the talking therapy.

That's my completely non-medical and unqualified opinion though. It's a combination of both probably.

Learning to ignore/relabel thoughts and feelings that lead to internal arguments and anxiety is an amazingly effective technique and you almost do it automatically after a while. Things that used to send me into a panic (dizzy head, tight throat, head racing etc) are just batted away like the meaningless sensations they are now.

Anyway in answer to your post subject: It will end, trust me

There's a great vlog on youtube from someone who's taken pregabalin and how much it improved their live by Jo Symes if you're interested. Might give you some hope

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. I'm glad medication works for people. Personally I think its a band aid. I prefer to live my life drug free and deal with life. Yes its been a long hard road, yes I still have my moments but I use the tools my therapist gave me and I work on my anxiety and I've never been happier in my life. Good luck to all.

I am still on 150mg and it seems to be helping me but I haven't been able to go out on my own yet without my mum or a care worker with me. I think it will take time but we will feel like our old selves at some point

Thanks all.
    Interestign how you both are on 2 completely different doses but works for ye. I really dont intend on waiting 2 months though for any drug to work as anti d's dont even take that long to work. No offence to you, we are all different but the evidence states a higher dose is needed for anxiety so I feel its a waste of my time sitting around waiting when I could up the dose and be getting on. Anyway, the psychiatrist wants me to wait another week so I will go with that to keep her happy.
    When you say you can only work 4-5 hours a day do you mean your anxiety prevents you from doing anymore?
    Snowghost57, youre not raining on anyones parade well not mine anyway. I have been through this for a long time now and I know what my bosy needs and right now it needs some help through medication whilst working on cbt too. Ii also prefer to live my life drug free but right now that is not possible as I need to get on with certain things and can not afford to take anymore time off.
    Good luck to you

I understand turnaround. To me 300 mg of any drug seems to be a large amount. I made a friend here and we chat constantly. He was like me started on 25mg of Zoloft, side effects bad. Had good days then bad days. Went up to 50mg and got worse. He is now back to 25mg and is doing quite well. I'm a holistic type of person and for some reason my body cannot even tolerate caffeine. I don't take over the counter medication other then a aspirin. I did take medication years ago, changing the type and the dose. I call it the medication train. I know you don't want to wait 8 weeks for a medication to start working but from what I have read it takes at least that long if not longer for your body to adjust and adapt to this foreign substance. It is altering it. That's why people abuse drugs to feel good. Its just scary business to me.

Medication got to expensive and all the switching and experimenting was not helping me.

I work very hard on challenging my thoughts, staying busy and monitor what is going on inside my head. I even talk to my brain sometimes, like when a silly or off the wall thought comes in, I'm like seriously? I will even laugh at my thoughts or tell my brain it's crazy and shut up.

Posting here helps too. Keep up the good fight and I hope the medication gives you relief.

cheers, glad you doing well.

I too am challenging my thoughts alot and a currently doing the DARE programme which I am finding to be so helpful and I think it will cure me in the end

Hi Snowghost - Don't judge a med by its milligram count. 300 mg is about one fifteenth (1/15) of a teaspoonful of active medication. Then take that and distribute it all around your body. In Australia, one paracetamol (acetaminophen) tablet is 500 mg, one ibuprofen tablet is 200 mg, and one aspirin tablet is 300 mg, and it's possible to take several of these over the course of one day.

Good point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information