Thread: HPV Tonsil Cancer at age 24

HPV Tonsil Cancer at age 24

Hi guys,

First I just wanted to say, I'm so glad I've found this place, and it's been lovely to read everyone's encouraging messages. I'm sorry if this post comes across disrespectful to anyone who has had or is fighting this disease, as I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, and this post is more to air my concerns...I hope I'm allowed to share this with you.

I'll do my best to keep this short.. so here are the symptoms I'm concerned about.

*Lumpy sensation when swallowing on the right side (looked at back of right tonsil and it's a bit lumpy, looks like a lump on top of the tonsil)

*Loss of hearing in right ear, muffled etc.

*General throat irritation (not pain, just dry irritation)

*Ironically, my left tonsil appears to be the enlarged one, even though all my symptoms are on the right hand side

*Hard lymph node just under right hand side jaw line

(These have been persistent since May, no night sweats, unexpected weight loss, etc)

My biggest concern is that I may have tonsil cancer brought on by HPV. I'm not proud to admit, I was slightly reckless in my late teens/early twenties, and I hope this hasn't come to bite me in the back.

I've seen 2 GPS, and STI clinic and my dentist. Both GP's dismissed my concerns, saying 'I was too young etc' for this type of cancer, they examined me, said they couldn't feel the lump in my neck, (He tried to find it, but couldn't and said, it wouldn't take this long to locate if it was something serious). They both put my hearing down to 'Eustachian Tube Dysfunction'... and the second GP did say my tonsils looked a bit inflamed and the back of my throat, but this was down to a viral infection.. Had all the tests done at the STI clinic and all clear and dentist said my tonsils looked a bit red, but there wasn't a lump or anything out of the ordinary with my tonsils.

I do suffer from seasonal allergies, particularly pollen, but I've read that should not raise or enlarge your lymph nodes. And its never caused ear issues before either...

As I've been sick with worry over this, the second GP has ordered me an ultrasound just for my peace of mind at the beginning of August but that's a long time to wait if this is something serious and I'm worried it will spread.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with this? Part of me thinks I need to be logical about this as i'm not sure what the likely hood of developing stage 4 cancer in 2 months is, but I've also heard that the HPV can lay dormant and may have been active years ago so it could possibly have developed into cancer at this stage... I just don't know what to do. If you've read this far, then thank you whole heartedly!

Re: HPV Tonsil Cancer at age 24

Quote Originally Posted by worried24UK View Post
    i'm not sure what the likely hood of developing stage 4 cancer in 2 months is, but I've also heard that the HPV can lay dormant and may have been active years ago so it could possibly have developed into cancer at this stage... I just don't know what to do.
    I'm a survivor of Stage IV head and Neck cancer - HPV related. What you describe along with your age is just not rational. The doctors are right. It sounds like seasonal allergies.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi there, i have same symptoms only on left side.... mine came along after i have been pocking and prodding the node under the jaw ( because of ocd issues , reassurance etc)..... i did the same 2 months ago and within 2 days off pressing to check the node the weird Lumpy sensation when swallowing on that side appeared ..... it went away on its own after i stoped messing with the lymph node under the jaw - i am guessing that by pressing on it i irritated some tissue in the throat ..... also there was/ is pressure in that ear....

Quote Originally Posted by worried24UK View Post
    Hi guys,

First I just wanted to say, I'm so glad I've found this place, and it's been lovely to read everyone's encouraging messages. I'm sorry if this post comes across disrespectful to anyone who has had or is fighting this disease, as I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, and this post is more to air my concerns...I hope I'm allowed to share this with you.

I'll do my best to keep this short.. so here are the symptoms I'm concerned about.

*Lumpy sensation when swallowing on the right side (looked at back of right tonsil and it's a bit lumpy, looks like a lump on top of the tonsil)

*Loss of hearing in right ear, muffled etc.

*General throat irritation (not pain, just dry irritation)

*Ironically, my left tonsil appears to be the enlarged one, even though all my symptoms are on the right hand side

*Hard lymph node just under right hand side jaw line

(These have been persistent since May, no night sweats, unexpected weight loss, etc)

My biggest concern is that I may have tonsil cancer brought on by HPV. I'm not proud to admit, I was slightly reckless in my late teens/early twenties, and I hope this hasn't come to bite me in the back.

I've seen 2 GPS, and STI clinic and my dentist. Both GP's dismissed my concerns, saying 'I was too young etc' for this type of cancer, they examined me, said they couldn't feel the lump in my neck, (He tried to find it, but couldn't and said, it wouldn't take this long to locate if it was something serious). They both put my hearing down to 'Eustachian Tube Dysfunction'... and the second GP did say my tonsils looked a bit inflamed and the back of my throat, but this was down to a viral infection.. Had all the tests done at the STI clinic and all clear and dentist said my tonsils looked a bit red, but there wasn't a lump or anything out of the ordinary with my tonsils.

I do suffer from seasonal allergies, particularly pollen, but I've read that should not raise or enlarge your lymph nodes. And its never caused ear issues before either...

As I've been sick with worry over this, the second GP has ordered me an ultrasound just for my peace of mind at the beginning of August but that's a long time to wait if this is something serious and I'm worried it will spread.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with this? Part of me thinks I need to be logical about this as i'm not sure what the likely hood of developing stage 4 cancer in 2 months is, but I've also heard that the HPV can lay dormant and may have been active years ago so it could possibly have developed into cancer at this stage... I just don't know what to do. If you've read this far, then thank you whole heartedly!

I've had this issue with general throat irritation. ENT even said my throat looked cobblestoned and irritated. No one else has been able to see anything but I only went to one ENT and my General Doctor. So leaning on Anxiety at this moment but it comes and goes and when I feel the irritation in my throat it brings me back to my thoughts and is consuming.

Thread Information