Thread: Bad Propranolol reaction - so disappointed!

Bad Propranolol reaction - so disappointed!

Apologies for the long first post...

I finally persuaded my GP to let me try propranolol for presentation anxiety. I have to present a lot at work and am usually fine unless it's to strangers, VIPs or heavy business. But I have been asked to present at a conference soon and that fills me with terror. A big hall full of strangers, microphones, probably a film camera... you get the picture. I know flight or flight will kick in, which usually leaves me trembling and unable to speak.

GP was reluctant to prescribe due to me being long term asthmatic but my asthma is very well controlled now so reluctantly he gave me a script. I had a bit of a scary presentation to do today so decided to take my first one. I split the 60mg tablet in two and took half and felt fine. Two hours later I took the second half. 90 mins later went to do the presentation. I noticed my nose was running but I have hay fever so thought nothing of it. Gave a great presentation... not an ounce of anxiety. Seriously I could have stood up there and presented all day. Result.

But once I finished I noticed I was having pain when I swallowed and it reminded me of the time I had anaphylaxis a few years back... Back in the office I started to feel worse. Hot flushes, sweating, weak, very strong uterine contractions and also urge to open my bowels... I NEVER sit on the toilets at work (another anxiety) but that anxiety was well and truly busted today!

These were all the symptoms of my previous anaphylaxis except weirdly this time NO respiratory symptoms whatsoever (last time I was wheezing and throat closing up) and no skin symptoms, no rash or flushing, my colleague said I was actually deathly pale.

I took an antihistamine and painkillers and felt better-ish after an hour or so.

Since read that propranolol can induce anaphylaxis - not necessarily a reaction to the drug but can make one more susceptible to other reactions (and I am a very allergic person) and is also contraindicated in people who carry an Epi-Pen (which I do) as it can lessen the effectiveness of the pen.

So now I feel like I shouldn't take the medication again, it's like I have found my magic bullet but my crappy allergic body has rejected it and I still have to do the bloody conference presentation.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

Re: Bad Propranolol reaction - so disappointed!

Did your allergic reaction subside? I feel I may have gone through something similar but not sure.

Thread Information