Thread: Is it okay to be on pregabalin longterm?

Is it okay to be on pregabalin longterm?

Hi

Do any of you know much about using pregabalin longterm for anxiety?

I know antidepressants are used longterm all the time but pregabalin I am not so sure.

Is it better to stabalise on this drug then find something else?

I am just worried that it may be bad longterm

Thanks

Re: Is it okay to be on pregabalin longterm?

I've been taking pregabalin since 2010 and haven't noticed any adverse change in its effect over the years. Studies are a bit thin on the ground, where six months is often considered "long-term". Also, pregabalin has only been available since 2006 and is licensed for anxiety only in the EU and UK. Nevertheless, there are very many people worldwide taking it long-term for chronic conditions like nerve pain and seizures - if there is anything adverse, it will probably show up there, but I haven't seen anything on Google searches and the like.

If pregabalin is well-tolerated and effective, there doesn't seem to be a strong reason for shifting to another medication once it is settled in. Coordination problems may be a problem for the elderly, but most people report that reduced coordination resolves in the first few weeks of treatment.
    Last edited by hanshan; 12-07-17 at 13:42.

Thanks Hanshan. Are you on 600 mgs? And how effective have you found it?

Yes, I am taking 600 mg per day. I have found it very effective for GAD, combined with mirtazapine. It doesn't stop all anxiety, particularly if there is something stressful to deal with, but then I think that is normal anxiety that anybody might feel.

Has it stopped panic attacks for you or was this an issue for you prior to this?

My trouble was mostly constant, obsessive worry, from the moment I woke up, although when things were at their worst, I started getting panic while teaching ie while standing and talking in front of a group of students. I also would often get a brief rush of anxiety in conversation. That's all pretty much gone now - the worry and most anxiety speaking in front of people. I still get some nerves, but that's probably normal.

So you are back teaching etc now? My main issue is talking in front of people too but has extended to talking to just one person in conversation!
    Its nice to know the pregabalin is working so well for you. Did you notice much difference between 450 dose and 600? Also, are you taking anything with the pregabalin?

Inability to speak-in-public suggests SOCIAL-ANXIETY which, I guess, can accompany GAD.

I had SERIOUS social-anxiety in my youth, but now I don't. But I do still have GAD.

I note that I didn't reply to Turnaround00 a year ago. In answer, I kept teaching with some breaks until 2016, when I retired. I believe social anxiety can refer to interaction with just one person. I moved up to the 600 mg dose fairly quickly, so I can't compare it with 450 mg. I take mirtazapine with pregabalin.

My GAD definitely had an element of social anxiety, particularly as I suffered from paruresis from my earliest years. Paruresis is a social anxiety-related illness where someone cannot empty their bladder in the presence of other people - or even in an adjacent room, or if someone is scheduled to call by sometime soon. Pregabalin hasn't cured my paruresis. But for me, I've learnt how to use a catheter, and knowing that this is always available as a last resort means that I can usually find ways of emptying my bladder in public situations.

that was the kind of worry i had also hanshan, my head was worry worry worry, it was embarrassing, people just thought i was weird and would say things like "are you autistic?" or find it funny how i fretted about everything and had to take on everything (eg. at work if something wasnt right i would try to sort it out even though it wasnt my job or responsibility. my employers loved that of course...)

luckily pregabalin has totally stopped that and im calm and quite normal now. i still get some depression which is annoying but anyway if it gets worse i will switch from venlafaxine to something else i guess

Thread Information