Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massive anxiety - my dog has hernia

Re: Massive anxiety - my dog probably has hernia and I'm abroad

Thank you all! We were able to take him home yesterday as he wasn't doing well at the pet hospital. The wound seems to be clean but the swelling grew. We called the vet and we were told to observe it and call again if it gets even bigger. Does the swelling in the picture look very bad to you? Or can it be normal post surgery?

My anxiety lessened after I was able to see him, but my heart is still breaking because I can't help him with his pain
    He is paralyzed and has no deep pain feeling but I saw him strech his right rear paw. I take it as a good sign for recovery, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Iwant2bhealthy; 15-07-17 at 19:00.

I have some good news to share! He was able to poop today, so it means that he will not be incontinent!!

I hope he will be able to walk again at some point in the future, but I'm less worried because it's easier to care for a disabled dog if he can control his physiological needs. Thanks for your support everyone. I still feel drained, and have my usual HA since my chest hurts a little, but I can still manage it without falling into a panic attack. I think I can be happy for the way I handled this situation so far. Thanks for your support guys!

Awww what a stunning Doggy!.

I'm so glad he seems to be turning a corner beginning to recover. Long may it continue.

Give him a massive hug from me and please keep us updated.

Lisa

That is really positive news,

Here's hoping that he continues to improve as the swelling goes down

Happy for youThat is good news he is able to have a poo. I watched a program where a dog was paralysed and was fitted with a brace with wheels,the dog could get around quite easy and seemed happy..Maybe that is something you could look into if he remains the same.xx.

Re: Massive anxiety - my dog has hernia

I have another update. We took the dog for a post-op check up and we managed to get the same vet that admitted him to the vet clinic and performed the surgery. He said that my doggy is already doing much, much better than he expected. The swelling turns out not to be dangerous, it's just normal body reaction on surgery, and it means that the healing process is going well.

My doggy still can't walk or stand, but it appears that the deep pain sensation in one paw is back!

Bottleblond - the hug was delivered. :-)

Elen - he still looks like a mini camel, but I'm not worried about it anymore. :-)

Lola-Lee - We did some research on it, and we even saw some instructions on how to build one if needed. :-)

Last edited by Iwant2bhealthy; 12-08-17 at 17:06.

Re: Massive anxiety - my dog has hernia

I did wince when I saw that swelling but it sounds like he had quite an op there so what looks scary to us is just the norm to a vet.

It's great to hear there are signs of a good recovery. I do hope he gets his ability to walk back as fully as possible.

They are so loving but they are also tough as well. We have a TV programme called Supervet about a guy who deals with complex cases. He has fit false limbs or walking aids. It's amazing how they adapt, far better than we do really as just like kids they learn and make the best of it. I remember him saying how brave he thought they were as they can be in pain but they push through it and just try to live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information