Thread: Cousin 35 bowel cancer -genetic link

Cousin 35 bowel cancer -genetic link

Hi all,

long time lurker, first time posting. I have IBS symptoms with months now and more recently bleeding from what I think is a fissure or hemorrhoid. My worry is that my first cousin was diagnosed with bowel cancer at 35 and I'm trying not to panic and think the worst. From what I read online, having a second degree relative means a 3 - 6 fold increase. I'm not sure what that means. Just wondering what kind of screening should I be looking at getting, colonoscopy or something similar ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Cousin 35 bowel cancer -genetic link

Sorry to hear about your cousin's diagnosis. My brother in law got it at 40yo. As far as screening? That's a question for your GP. Under normal circumstances, 50yo is the magic number for your first colonoscopy. I would discuss it with your GP and follow his/her advice.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 13-07-17 at 14:25.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Cousin 35 bowel cancer -genetic link

sorry to hear that. , i work at a Gastroenterology office for a few years and we would recommend testing if it were an immediate family like your mother, father, sister or brother. being that it is your cousin you dont have a high change of cancer. Hopefully that gives you some piece of mind

Thread Information