Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: citalopram withdrawal

Re: citalopram withdrawal

Id been taking citalopram 20mg for about 3 months, then my dose was changed to 30mg which i took for about another 3 months. I tried to stop taking them before, but ended up taking them to relieve myself of the withdrawal symptoms (dizziness, nausea, fatigue). Now Ive quit taking them again and I feel fine for a while in the mornings, but as the day goes on i begin to feel dizzy, tired, sick, and a lot of the time i just feel like crying because I feel so horrible. I dont feel motivated to do very much at all later on in the day, so I try to get things done in the morning--though I have my 9 month old daughter to take care of so its a bit tough at times!

I came off Citalopram a few weeks ago (20mg) because I ran out and didn't make another appointment at the doctors because I had a few other things going on and I had absolutely no side effects whatsoever coming off them although I must admit I did feel better when I was on them and I am going to go back to the doctors next week to get some more.

I was put on citalopram 20mg in June 2007. Like you, I came off it simply because I had run out, in October 2007. I was in a new city and I had not registered with a doctor. I have been steadily taking 40mg since October 2008. and I decided to drop my dose to 20mg this week. I have been taking the reduced dose for four days now and I am experiencing mild mania, an increased pulse, difficulty sleeping and irritability. It's making me anxious, but I control it by exercising, writing down my feelings, symptoms and the thoughts that are racing through my head and describing my symptoms to a trusted family member, which really helps.

A big side effect is having thoughts/songs constantly running through my head. My mind won't shut up. Does anybody else experience this?

Hi all,

First post. A few of weeks ago I was prescriped citalopram because of anxiety, I was suspected to have liver cancer and was starting to get gain a high tolerance of diazepam.

So my GP put me on a course of citalopram to help with the panic attacks and anxiety I was suffering. The first week of taking the drug was hell to say the least, I even developed a rash. My GP took me off them as a result... for the first few days I knew I was going to 'crash' but it's been a week now since I took my last tablet and I am still feeling like rubbish. I can't sleep or anything, mind is racing, dizzyness, I feel worse than when I first started taking them. I am at my wits end and if anything I feel worse!

I know it will pass eventually but surely after a week they'd be out of my system by now?

Since I stopped taking them I have been told that they're "as certain as they can be" that I don't have liver cancer, and taken me off the transplant list and reduced my weeky monitoring to every three months.

Anyway, I'd end up waffling if I continue so I will go back to my original question, is it normal for want of a better word to still feel as rough as I do a week after taken the drug?

Dale

Dale it is normal, side effects last differently for people but generally speaking most go away after a couple of weeks.

Hang in there and give it time, if after 3 -4 weeks you are still miserable consult with your doctor, maybe the dosage is wrong or you need a different SSRI. Everybody reacts differently to this medication.

I am on day 13 and really starting to feel much better, and 3-4 weeks is when the medication really starts to kick in.

Thanks for that, I was wondering it was 'me' or something else. It feels like my body is purging it's self of a poison!

Interesting reading
    The only side effect I have noticed since reducing my dosage is the sweats, I feel hot a lot. Other than that I feel fine. I also believe cutting is slow is the best way for me, I am on 12.5 now after cutting from 15mg, 20mg, 30mg. I only dropped to 12.5 yesterday but so far so good.
    Seeing doc today but am going to ignore her if she suggest this on off lark, I dont think its good for the brain to get some then not get some.
    Good luck everyone

This is exactly how I feel my friend thinks im just overreacting but it gets really bad after 3 or 4 days of not taking a tablet.
    I didnt find that the citelopram worked at all apart from as a placebo for the first few weeks, the doctor put me on 40 mg but i found it hard to get an irection lol so i came off them as my gf was complaining lol

do u know the best way to come off the citelopram

Apologies for posting something this trivial today.

My husband told me this morning he has been forgetting to take his cit, probably has only had it twice in a week.

Would this be enough to cause withdrawal symptoms? He's been very irritable, shouting at the kids a lot, and said he felt "fragile"

Yes im afraid it would ..These types of medications must be taken everyday at the same time .One missed dose is usually ok .But they have a 36hour half dose effect .He may get side effects again when he starts to take them properly again ,but hopefully he wont take long get back on track .Its hard to say as I dont know how many days at once he missed the dose ...If you take them with breakfst each day or just before bed you usually remember to take them .Hope he is ok Luv Sue x

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information