Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: citalopram withdrawal

Re: citalopram withdrawal

Thanks Sue, he has MS and has a terrible memory but there's really no excuse for this. He drives me to despair at times

Talking Re: citalopram withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpriritedLiss View Post
    I was put on citalopram 20mg in June 2007. Like you, I came off it simply because I had run out, in October 2007. I was in a new city and I had not registered with a doctor. I have been steadily taking 40mg since October 2008. and I decided to drop my dose to 20mg this week. I have been taking the reduced dose for four days now and I am experiencing mild mania, an increased pulse, difficulty sleeping and irritability. It's making me anxious, but I control it by exercising, writing down my feelings, symptoms and the thoughts that are racing through my head and describing my symptoms to a trusted family member, which really helps.

A big side effect is having thoughts/songs constantly running through my head. My mind won't shut up. Does anybody else experience this?
    One of the things Im hoping CIT does for me is SHUT my mind up lol!

Hi, first post. I've read this post with interest, and can sympathise with those on the drug. I was wondering if anyone can advise me.

I've been taking citalopram for almost 6 years (first 20mg, then 10mg, then 40mg, then, currently, alternating between 20-40mg daily). Last week I realised my prescription had run out and I have been without for about 5 days. Yesterday, day 4, I had a headache all afternoon, felt light-headed, had sporadic tickling in my heart, had tingly toes and a feeling like something was flickering in either my chest or my head (I'm not sure which). Today I still have all of the above, with the exception of the headache.

I have been wondering what these symptoms could be, but an internet search lead me to believe that these may be CP withdrawal symptoms. My question is: Would these symptoms really come on all at once after only 4 days?

Many thanks for any replies.

Yes im afraid they would ..It leaves the system very quickly but will take a few weeks for the withdrawal effects to completely go .It would have been better to cut down by 5mg or 10 for three weeks at a time to avoid them being severe .You could always go to your Dr and explain whats happened and commence taking 10mg ,Or stick with it and see how you get on .. every one is different ,Hope it doesnt get too unbearable for you ...Take care ...Sue

Thanks for the reply. The flickering is definately like jolts in my head, which sounds like the head zaps mentioned. I'm not trying to stop just yet, just that my prescription ran out just before the weekend and it takes 2 working days to come through. I've just phoned the pharmacy and they have my new one, so I'll get it tonight and see what happens!

It's good to know I'm probably not suffering from anything other than withdrawal symptoms. I didn't know they could be that strong!

Hi They can be frightening for some especially the head zaps ..Because you have not had any Cit in your system for a few days .What ammount you now have in your system is very minimal.If you go back to taking the ammount you were you will more than likely suffer with more side effects until your body gets used to it again .It would therefor be better to take a lower dose than you were taking .Maybe you should try 20mg a day and see how you go for a couple of weeks ? Its never advisable to just stop taking them as it causes problems of more than one kind ...One missed dose doesnt hurt ,But it leaves the system by a half dose in as little as 36hrs ..Hope you get back on track soon ..Sue

Hi
    Was feeling a bit desperate so read this forum and it's eased my worries.
    I had been on a 10mg daily dose of citalopram since last September. I forgot to take my dose a couple of days last week and was beginning to feel better so thought I'd try to stop completely. What a mistake! I've been feeling sick, having headaches, it's affected my appetite and I feel exhausted. All very unbearable. Met my sister for lunch yesterday and felt ok'ish but by the time I got to Tesco to to my shopping was boiling up and thought I was going to pass out! Also get flashes of light in my head (sounds psychodelic, but it's very weird). All these feelings are definitely worse as the day goes on. Sleeping is rubbish too.
    Anyway, from what I've read it looks like I'm not dying, going mad or anything quite as bad as that. These symptoms are made worse as I live on my own. I guess I'll just have to start taking the drug again. Wish my GP had warned me though!

Quote Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
    Hi
    Was feeling a bit desperate so read this forum and it's eased my worries.
    I had been on a 10mg daily dose of citalopram since last September. I forgot to take my dose a couple of days last week and was beginning to feel better so thought I'd try to stop completely. What a mistake! I've been feeling sick, having headaches, it's affected my appetite and I feel exhausted. All very unbearable. Met my sister for lunch yesterday and felt ok'ish but by the time I got to Tesco to to my shopping was boiling up and thought I was going to pass out! Also get flashes of light in my head (sounds psychodelic, but it's very weird). All these feelings are definitely worse as the day goes on. Sleeping is rubbish too.
    Anyway, from what I've read it looks like I'm not dying, going mad or anything quite as bad as that. These symptoms are made worse as I live on my own. I guess I'll just have to start taking the drug again. Wish my GP had warned me though!
    Hello - no you're definitely NOT dying, going mad or anything..........
    If you were that ill you simply could not write well formed and coherent emails like yours. I can promise you that are suffering the same types of things many people here find with these drugs, or lack of!
    And your Tesco experience sounds very like panic and anxiety - I get this "boiling up" thing and it's never killed me yet - although it really is horrid.
    You could consider resuming the tabs and talking to your doc ?
    These pills need to stabilise in your body over time - something to do with half life of the chemicals. And stop starting can make you feel just as you describe.

I'm interested in how you were between September and now as well - did the tablets take a lot of these feelings away?

Take care - and please let us all know how you get on.
    Your emails will certainly help many people as well as maybe comfort you a little hopefully.

best wishes
    Martin

Thanks for your reply Martin. I made a mistake in my initial message last night. I was in fact taking a 20mg dose not 10mg.
    Anyway, one of the reasons I thought I,d try to stop taking them was that they made me feel sleepy and not as "sharp" as I was without them. They did make me feel generally happier (or less unhappy) so were doing what they were supposed to do. I think my condtion is worse in the winter when I can't get out and excersise so easily and I miss the sunshine.
    I read the citalopram leaflet last night and it did warn of withdrawel symptoms so perhaps I should have read that first! So, I took a 20mg pill last night and will continue to do so then maybe have another go at getting off them in a month or so's time. Will plan to cut the dose to 10mg for a couple of weeks and see if that eases the withdrawel symptoms the worst of which were (are) the headaches and nausea. Really unpleasant!

Quote Originally Posted by suzy-sue View Post
    Hi They can be frightening for some especially the head zaps ..Because you have not had any Cit in your system for a few days .What ammount you now have in your system is very minimal.If you go back to taking the ammount you were you will more than likely suffer with more side effects until your body gets used to it again .It would therefor be better to take a lower dose than you were taking .Maybe you should try 20mg a day and see how you go for a couple of weeks ? Its never advisable to just stop taking them as it causes problems of more than one kind ...One missed dose doesnt hurt ,But it leaves the system by a half dose in as little as 36hrs ..Hope you get back on track soon ..Sue
    Hi. Within a couple of hours of taking them I was back to normal. It was quite amazing. I'm sticking to 20mg for now. My next review is in June, when I suspect I'll gradually taper off. But the withdrawal symptoms are quite surprising.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information