Thread: Anafranil Questions/Experience

Smile Anafranil Questions/Experience

Hi all, this will be my first post on the site, though, admittedly, I've been a lurker for some time now. Anyways, I've been very ill for some time now with a nasty case of Purely Obsessional OCD. I have tried Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, and Luvox, all with no success. No success would be an understatement actually, they all contributed to worsening my condition. Anyways, about a month ago I started on Anafranil(Clomipramine). This is the very first time I've been positively effected by a med, it almost seems like every day is getting better. The anxiety seems to be lessening, although I'm still suffering from intrusive thoughts. As of yesterday, my dosage is 150mg. My question is regarding the waiting period. Like I said, I've been on clomipramine for a month now, yet the dosage has been changed a few times, 25 to 50, 50 to 75, 75 to 100, and now 100 to 150. Every time I up the dose, must I wait 4-6 weeks to feel therapeutic effects? Or is that not how it works? I would also be interested in hearing other people's positive experiences with this medication. I'd prefer no negative experiences, as I've already experienced so many negative experiences on my own, I know what that's all about already. Thanks in advance!

Re: Anafranil Questions/Experience

Quote Originally Posted by akerswes View Post
    Hi all, this will be my first post on the site, though, admittedly, I've been a lurker for some time now.
    Welcome to No More Panic, Wes

I have tried Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, and Luvox, all with no success. No success would be an understatement actually, they all contributed to worsening my condition.
    What was the maximum dose you took of each, and how long were you at that dose? OCD is the most treatment resistant of the anxiety disorders and it can need high antidepressant doses to get a response. They can also often make things worse at the beginning.

As of yesterday, my dosage is 150mg. My question is regarding the waiting period. Like I said, I've been on clomipramine for a month now, yet the dosage has been changed a few times, 25 to 50, 50 to 75, 75 to 100, and now 100 to 150. Every time I up the dose, must I wait 4-6 weeks to feel therapeutic effects?
    The kick-in clock probably only began running once you were on 75-100mg. Also, antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in with most seeing positive results in the 5-8 week window. It can take several weeks for dose increases to make a difference. How many weeks greatly varies from person to person, but allow at least a month.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Welcome to No More Panic, Wes

What was the maximum dose you took of each, and how long were you at that dose? OCD is the most treatment resistant of the anxiety disorders and it can need high antidepressant doses to get a response. They can also often make things worse at the beginning.

The kick-in clock probably only began running once you were on 75-100mg. Also, antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in with most seeing positive results in the 5-8 week window. It can take several weeks for dose increases to make a difference. How many weeks greatly varies from person to person, but allow at least a month.
    I can't quite recall the maximum dosage of each that I took, but I took them all for extended periods of time. I like the kick-in clock analogy. I started on 75mg probably around three weeks ago, give or take. So, I'm probably looking at another few weeks. Although, like I said, I am feeling relief, and quite a good amount of it.

Are you on anafranil yourself, or have any experience with it, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by akerswes View Post
    Are you on anafranil yourself, or have any experience with it, if you don't mind me asking?
    No, I have taken the TCA imipramine (Tofranil) in the past and have been on dosulepin, aka dothiepin, continually for about 21 years. They work broadly the same with much the same side-effects. Anafranil is the most potent of the bunch and generally the best med for OCD.

Oh, I see. Awesome, I only asked because you have been extremely helpful and seem to know a good ordeal about it. Thanks again for the information. I'm going to keep this thread updated on how I'm doing as it seems like unfortunately not that many folks on here are on anafranil. Maybe it could help someone, such as I, who is curious to hear experiences.

So today is day 4 on 150mgs. Things seemed to be going smoothly but today it seems I've hit a bitch of a rough patch. A little upped anxiety today. That's to be expected with dosage changes though, so I'm stickin it out.

Hi, how is anafranil working for you now, did you stick it out? I have been on it for 4 weeks and just upped my dosage to 20mg on day 9 of increase and it's not pleasant. Anyway be nice to hear from you ��

Thread Information