Thread: Skin cancer??? Mole looks bigger!

Skin cancer??? Mole looks bigger!

So I'm a very mole-y person, and very fair too. Last summer I burnt the top of my shoulders and back very badly. I have a mole on my back, below where i was burnt. It's a larger mole than my others, and I just took a picture of my back now, and comparing it to its size that summer, it looks to have changed shape and size slightly?? Of course now i am panicking, convinced I have skin cancer and I've left it late and I'll die etc. Of course my best option would be to get a doctors appointment, but until then....I'm at a loss, I feel like i can't sleep:(

(I would post pics but my post count isn't high enough yet)

Re: Skin cancer??? Mole looks bigger!

Just have a doctor look. My husband had an unchanged mole for 20 years that turned out to be a melanoma. I've had stuff look suspicious that a doctor wasn't at all concerned about. They are trained so trust them. Most skin cancer is slow growing and easily treated. Hubby is still here btw

Quote Originally Posted by neonlights View Post
    So I'm a very mole-y person, and very fair too. Last summer I burnt the top of my shoulders and back very badly. I have a mole on my back, below where i was burnt. It's a larger mole than my others, and I just took a picture of my back now, and comparing it to its size that summer, it looks to have changed shape and size slightly?? Of course now i am panicking, convinced I have skin cancer and I've left it late and I'll die etc. Of course my best option would be to get a doctors appointment, but until then....I'm at a loss, I feel like i can't sleep:(

(I would post pics but my post count isn't high enough yet)
    Photos that you take yourself aren't really very reliable since lighting, distance from the lens, angle, etc are ALL going to affect how the mole appears. From what I understand (I have Masters degree in melanoma given how many hours I've spent reading about it, lol), it is unlikely to develop a year after a sunburn; it's more like decades and sun exposure in childhood and adolescence. Maybe knowing you had the sunburn is causing you to associate melanoma with the mole, even though it is highly unlikely. IN other words, you're telling yourself a story, and you have the power to put a stop to it.

I do think you should get the mole checked, since you have the perception (real or imagined) that it changed, or even just b/c it stands out to you. I have had multiple changing moles turn out to be nothing more than mildly atypical, so please know that it is a possibility and actually a much more likely scenario than melanoma-- and that's even if there's anything abnormal about the mole at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    Photos that you take yourself aren't really very reliable since lighting, distance from the lens, angle, etc are ALL going to affect how the mole appears. From what I understand (I have Masters degree in melanoma given how many hours I've spent reading about it, lol), it is unlikely to develop a year after a sunburn; it's more like decades and sun exposure in childhood and adolescence. Maybe knowing you had the sunburn is causing you to associate melanoma with the mole, even though it is highly unlikely. IN other words, you're telling yourself a story, and you have the power to put a stop to it.

I do think you should get the mole checked, since you have the perception (real or imagined) that it changed, or even just b/c it stands out to you. I have had multiple changing moles turn out to be nothing more than mildly atypical, so please know that it is a possibility and actually a much more likely scenario than melanoma-- and that's even if there's anything abnormal about the mole at all.
    Thank you, that's really helpful!

I had my mum (ex-nurse) take a look at it and compare it to a picture from last year and she said it hasn't gotten bigger but it has changed shape (from rounder to more teardrop shaped/ovally). She said the picture of my mole before wasn't particularly great so it's hard to tell. She took a picture of my mole as it is now and she said we'll track it week by week, and if I'm still worried I'll make a doctors appointment

After the last complete freak out I went through about a black spot that appeared on the top of my hand, I swore I will never put it off again.

Why wait? Is there a reason you can't get into a dermatologist and get an official word?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    After the last complete freak out I went through about a black spot that appeared on the top of my hand, I swore I will never put it off again.

Why wait? Is there a reason you can't get into a dermatologist and get an official word?
    Well, I live in the UK so I wouldn't be able to get to my GP today anyway as it is a Sunday. I would have to wait until tomorrow anyway to make an appointment, so that's what I'll have to do?

Moles can change and be benign. I am very moley and fair as well. I freaked out last year because I convinced myself I had S.C. due to new moles and bigger ones. Turns out they are just new moles. For whatever reason. Definitely see a dermatologist, but once he gives you the ok, go with it. They did a biopsy on one of mine which resulted in my having panic attacks for two weeks. Came back totally normal.

Not all changing moles are malignant, and in the worst case scenario if it is melanoma then you won't die. It's 2017, not 1917. Skin cancer is one of the most easily cured forms of cancer, but just relax and try not to worry; keep in mind that you have health anxiety, which notices things like that and makes you freak out about it when people without it wouldn't react this way, coming onto a forum desperately seeking answers. But yeah, try to unwind, the doctor is the one with answers and I know the wait is hard, but hang in there

Thread Information