Thread: Valium and Tums

Valium and Tums

I know that antacids can interfere with some medications in how they're absorbed, but do they interfere with valium?

Re: Valium and Tums

Quote Originally Posted by Jakemje View Post
    I know that antacids can interfere with some medications in how they're absorbed, but do they interfere with valium?
    According to the diazepam monograph:

Antacids

Diazepam peak concentrations are 30% lower when antacids are administered concurrently. However, there is no effect on the extent of absorption. The lower peak concentrations appear due to a slower rate of absorption, with the time required to achieve peak concentrations on average 20 - 25 minutes greater in the presence of antacids. However, this difference was not statistically significant.
    So not much to worry about. If you only take Valium occasionally it may be effective for a little longer than usual, but it taken daily you're unlikely to feel any difference.

Thank you. I do take valium regularly, but it's has a catch 22 of causing me to get acid reflux at night. I have heard that I just plain mustard mixed in some water could do the trick. I hate to do anything that might throw off my valium balance. The acid reflux is about nightly thing. I have tried nexium in the past, but it cause problems with my AD at the time. I'm just looking for something I can take nightly before I go to bed to stop the reflux

Quote Originally Posted by Jakemje View Post
    Thank you. I do take valium regularly, but it's has a catch 22 of causing me to get acid reflux at night.
    Ask your GP to prescribe another benzodiazepine instead. The really long half-life alternatives such such as clorazepate (Tranxene) and (Librium) also share the same active desmethyldiazepam metabolite as diazepam so might also cause the reflux issue (although the only way to know is by trying them), therefore, clonazepam (Klonopin) may be a better option.

Thread Information