Thread: 12 years then taken off

12 years then taken off

I was on a mixture of propanol, escitalopram, and quietiapine (can't spell) for about 12 years and was but on them by a psychiatrist. Then in January my Dr took me off propanol because of my asthma. I came completely off them in march and since then it's been horrible. I can't get the bus to work I have to have a taxi every morning (but I can get the bus home no problems)
    Then over the past week I have been having full on panic attacks again. I haven't had them since I was very ill and I'm so scared I'm gonna get poorly again and lose my job etc
    I have tried asking the doctor to put me back on them and I will write an exemption letter for responsibility if anything happens but they can't risk it and I have asthma I could randomly react to the meds and it could be fatal. But I was fine for 12 years?
    I just don't know what to do.
    Nik

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Re: 12 years then taken off

Quote Originally Posted by Nikcat View Post
    I was on a mixture of propanol, escitalopram, and quietiapine
    How much escitalopram and quetiapine are you on, Nik?

Then over the past week I have been having full on panic attacks again.

...I have tried asking the doctor to put me back on them
    Propranolol doesn't actually prevent panic attacks, it just blocks the adrenaline fueled symptoms of the flight-or-fight response they trigger. It might be better to concentrate on bringing the anxiety under control.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    How much escitalopram and quetiapine are you on, Nik?

Propranolol doesn't actually prevent panic attacks, it just blocks the adrenaline fueled symptoms of the flight-or-fight response they trigger. It might be better to concentrate on bringing the anxiety under control.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm taking 20mg of escitalopram and 50mg of quietiapine a day.
    So I was probably panicking about things before but the propanol block the symptoms of the panic attack?
    So I need to figure out what I am anxious about really then and try to unravel it?
    Could it be a hormonal thing?
    Sorry for all the question lol
    Nik :-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nikcat View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I'm taking 20mg of escitalopram and 50mg of quietiapine a day.
    As neither seems to be working anymore and you're maxed out on the escitalopram it is time to try something else. If escitalopram is your first SSRI then sertraline could be a good alternative, but if you've had other SSRIs fail previously then either a SNRI, or TCA may be better options.

So I was probably panicking about things before but the propanol block the symptoms of the panic attack?
    Some of the symptoms, but not the panic itself. My guess is the attacks were being mostly blunted by the SSRI and antipsychotic with the propranolol just dampening what little got through.

Were quetiapine and propranolol added some time ago when the escitalopram began no longer stopping anxiety all the time, or did it never work that well from the beginning?

So I need to figure out what I am anxious about really then and try to unravel it?
    Knowing the cause may not help.Most with PTSD, for example, have a pretty good idea what triggered it. The disorders soon take on a 'life' pf their own independent of the trigger/s. Working on reframing the anxiety and developing ways of dealing with it is a better strategy and is what the cognitive and behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc) and mindfulness therapies are about. If therapy is an option it should be pursued.

Could it be a hormonal thing?
    Anxiety can be worse during parts of the menstrual cycle, and may be one of the reasons females develop some anxiety disorders are higher rates than men, but these disorders (and depression) may be more a dysfunction of the immune system. Those taking immune system boosting meds like interferon to treat viral diseases and cancers are now often also prescribed a SSRI because of this. Immune system proteins can also reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants.

I'm not familiar with the other meds you talk about, but I do know that if you're asthmatic, the docs are usually nervous about prescribing propranolol as it can aggravate asthma. That could be one reason you've been taken off it. However, there are other beta blockers that don't aggravate asthma so much so ask your GP about those.

I took propranolol from 2007 to 2015 and although I wasn't diagnosed with asthma...after all the tests for it...I did suffer breathlessness while taking it, which has more or less disappeared since changing over to another beta blocker called Bisoprolol.

If I miss taking it for more than a few days though, I become very twitchy and more aware of my heartbeats which makes me feel uncomfortable.

Thread Information