Thread: Colonoscopy tomorrow, so scared

Colonoscopy tomorrow, so scared

I know I posted the other day, but as it's getting closer I'm really starting to feel terribly anxious. I've had two separate panic attacks this afternoon.
    If I have no symptoms and feel well and have no changes to my toilet habits, the chances would be small of finding something bad wouldn't they?
    The closer it gets, its starting to feel impossible to me to hear the results. I can maybe do the test, but hearing the results after....I feel like I'm not going to be able to listen or hear or survive it. What if they find a tumour? Logically, I know it's most likely going to be fine....but it's very hard to remember :( unfortunately I went on a different thread just on colonoscopies on this forum and read a post where a lady was worried they'd find a tumour (they didn't, she was fine) but now all I can hear in my head is the word tumour and I'm so scared.

Re: Colonoscopy tomorrow, so scared

Don't be scared! The nice thing is, they can give you a really good idea of everything they saw as soon as you're done. Are they just doing it as routine or for another reason?

Just tell them you have anxiety and ask for a chill pill or meds. They gave me something that made me really chill and then the really good stuff before the procedure. I woke up in recovery and all was well. The toughest part is the prep IMO. Have your laptop or phone charged or a couple of magazines because you'll be spending some time in the "reading room" if you know what I mean

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I can understand your fear. I had one done a few years back. Because I am a control freak I did not want any meds to make me feel weird. I did the thing sober.. It actually doesnt hurt... pressure and that is about it. I watched the whole thing on the monitor. Afterwards I felt amazing.... well of course they have you drink heaps of liquid etc to prepare you and clean your whole system out! Really like a detox I guess.. I felt lighter.. more energy.... wish I felt the same way now actually. Best of luck... and let us know how it went

I agree with Fishmanpa, they can give you something to REALLY relax you! And the prep is by far the worst part, ugh!

I cried all the way to mine and also in the week and a half prior when I received the letter of appointment. Was it as bad as I had worked myself up to? Probably not although it wasn't pleasant (I had to have a gastroscopy done at the same time!).

I suppose the way to think about it is that the sooner they find something, if anything, the more chance they can do something effective about it. I know people kept telling me this before mine but I found it hard to see how it helped.

Good luck - you will get through it and whatever the outcome, at least they are on track with dealing with things.

They're nothing really to worry about. The only thing that sucked was the preparation! Just be near a bathroom and have something to keep you occupied close by. I played Xbox all day that day and would run to the bathroom as needed. Get soft toilet paper.

If you're fearful prior, they may be able to give you something to relax you. When I went under recently for my wrist surgery, the Anesthesiologist was able to give me something to calm me down a bit. Something about being put under just makes me anxious. Not like into a panic attack, but enough where I feel uncomfortable and get that dry mouth feeling.

Thread Information