Thread: 450mgs still anxious.....

450mgs still anxious.....

Hi

Constantly putting posts up...I know....just going crazy waiting!!

I am now on 450mgs since Sunday evening. How long should I be waiting before I can say the 450mgs isn't enough or pregabalin ain't gonna be enough?

I am defo alot better than I was but thats just surviving and just about going into a couple of shops whilst out. Still avoiding talking to people and going into cafes etc. I am not having panic attacks really anymore but I am still getting the near feeling like dizziness and gotta get out of here type feeling.

I am just so so so fed up now. Eveytime I increase I think this will be it now.
    I really don't know how long more I can go on like this.

Prozac, pregabalin.....what is wrong with my brain that I am not better

Re: 450mgs still anxious.....

I can really empathise with that experience.

Perhaps you would benefit from a different antidepressant as some of them are also prescribed for anxiety?

I found escitalopram to be very effective for panic disorder, and pretty much started working after a couple of weeks. It completely stopped the panic attacks, and stopped me jumping every time I heard any sound. But, in terms of medication, the best relief I ever got from anxiety, aside from benzos, was pregabalin so far.

However the most effective treatment for me was DBT, which is a therapy developed by a lady who is a Buddhist practitioner. I find its techniques far more effective than any other therapy, for addressing anxiety, depression and just about any other problem I've encountered. It's a set of techniques to help you manage various emotional states, with the tools derived from a Buddhist perspective of the human condition, and it is very clear so it's easy to understand and learn, which is what makes it so effective in my opinion. The hard bit is actually using the techniques instead of doing the habitual things that make our anxiety worse, but that's where any therapy starts to make a difference.

My personal experience was that the drugs will only get you to a place where you can sort your life out, but they won't do the hard work for you. Try changing how you respond to the small things differently and then build up to the bigger challenges as you get stronger.

You were saying that you manage to go to the shops, I remember when I was only able to do that and nothing else, but then I was put on medication and I started to try new social situations, even though it felt like every neuron in my body was telling me to stick to the usual plan of locking myself in the flat and avoiding other people as much as possible. So I started with really small things, like starting conversations with people I saw regularly at the shops and then I built up to going out more regularly and challenging myself more.

Unfortunately I suffered a major setback during my recovery and lost everything, but I'm back on the path to recovery again, and if there's one thing I've learnt from the last few years it is this: If you run away from a certain emotion (ie anxiety), you decrease your ability to tolerate it, and this means that habitual reactions will get worse over time as it becomes harder and harder for you to tolerate the anxiety, however if you start allowing yourself to endure anxiety more, you will start to be able to tolerate more, and things start getting easier very quickly (I use that phrase relatively).

I still have a long way to go myself, but I'm finding the pregabalin is helping me explore other options when faced with anxiety, by increasing the time I have between the action, and my emotional response so that I can break bad habits and form good ones (ie ones that will benefit me, not make me worse).

Stick with it, some people do require a higher dose, so maybe you need to keep increasing until you find the dose that allows you to start making the changes.

Hugs, bodhisattva.

Re: 450mgs still anxious.....

Thanks alot for your reply. I am glad the pregabalin is helping you. Lets hope we come out the other side soon x

Thread Information