Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Struggle - LPR Advice Please

Thumbs down Daily Struggle - LPR Advice Please

Hello Forum,

My Name is Kyle, I am 22 Years old.

First of all, let me give you some background information that will help you to understand why I am having such difficulty with this.

I am a very anxious person sometimes, the fidgety type, ex-smoker of 7 Years (recently quit!)

at the beginning of the year, I was struggling with what I assume was an Internal Hemmaroiod which was making my health anxiety go wild. my Girlfriend Also 22 was diagnosed with Cancer and she is Currently undergoing treatment. Now I have a real issue with this after family members passing a way. It makes me lose my mind in worry.

Straight after finding out this horrible news, I started to get this really awful throat thingy (March), Now I have done my research. and I have read basically every post regarding Globus, LPR, GERD and all the rest of it.

I went to the doctors they tested me for gastritis and few other general checks. and I was informed it was all negative and I was fine. my Nurse also found out about the situation with my Girlfriend and then I was asked 'Am I sad etc'. This immediately rang alarm bells in my head because I know that some practices have a hobbit of throwing Citalopram/fluoxetine at any and all problems. (No Thanks)

Eventually, I give up. I find myself burping a lot, but it's not exactly burping, it's more like an inward burp? (imagine a plunger and the effect a plunger has, that is how it feels)

So I start to take Gaviscon, Ranitidine (Zantac) to see if that helps. This does nothing.

So I change practices and get a second opinion in June, I tell my doctor everything, he says it sounds like LPR. Which I am okay with if thats what it is. so how do I fix it?

I have Tried Diet changes, I drink less beer. I am currently on 20mg Omeprazole Daily.

I can live with the burping and all the rest of it. but this tight throat thing is awful. really really awful.

In the Morning when I wake up I don't notice it. It gets progressively worse throughout the day, and then in the evening, it starts to settle down a bit. I can eat okay and sometimes when I eat my Lunch the feeling goes away! but it usually comes back around 45 minutes after food.

Thoughts?

Re: Daily Struggle - LPR Advice Please

hey man I can relate exactly what you're going through. I'm truly sorry to hear about your girlfriend hope she makes a steady recovery.

I'm 22 as well and started this self diagnosed 'LPR' around January after a nasty food poisoning. I've been to so many doctors that they told me and after all the tests in the world got told there is nothing and I have an anxiety disorder and acid reflux. I was put on omeprazole, raniditine and nexium as well as kept swallowing bottles of gaviscon advance and an extremely healthy diet. I had to give up smoking too and switched to vaping. None of this stuff helped!

However, like you I've been going through a very tough time, and I decided to take a break from everything and escape. I started practicing meditation, exercising and a steady healthy diet without any medicine and it worked! I was symptom free for around 4 months because I forced myself to be happy.

However, I was on some painkillers because of an injury and it all started again :(
    i'm thinking because this injury really set me back and I cannot do anything at all until I get better. Currently I'm typing this with a huge painful lump in my throat and chest pain. This lump is making me feel nauseous and I'm trying really hard no to think about it and keep busy.

But what I have learnt from this is that it is truly to do with your mood. I also read that stress and anxiety can start and aggravate this and I can relate to it, however for me it came back, definitely because life is stressing me out right now.
    Now I'm trying to solve everything that is wrong in my life and hope it gets better, hang in there. As uncomfortable as it is, it gets better.

Try this...

Cut out alcohol totally and follow the FODMAP diet. Keep a journal of your food and liquid intake and make note of the things that aggravate your reflux. Follow it strictly for at least a month and I'm quite sure the symptoms will abate.

Most of all speak to your GP about your anxiety and see if you can get a referral for therapy and ask about meds in the mean time to help give your brain a rest. The throat tightening is definitely an anxiety symptom based on the pattern it follows.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

HI Both,

Thank you for your response, I will keep everyone up to date with the progress as it goes. I think it may be LPR as a symptom of an anxiety issue.

The Reason I say this, This weekend I have not noticed any issues with it, Was out with my friends, had some alcohol (not too much) saw my girlfriend and had a good time all around.

Friday I went to the Nurse for a Health check who said my health was normal, but my blood pressure was slightly higher than it should be for someone my age.

Now it's Monday and I am at my desk. and the lump in the throat is bothering me, why? because I'm more conscious of it I think?

Doctors want me to do 1 month more of omezrapole so I will continue with that and update on what happens as I go.

- Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by elbow_geese View Post
    HI Both,

Thank you for your response, I will keep everyone up to date with the progress as it goes. I think it may be LPR as a symptom of an anxiety issue.

The Reason I say this, This weekend I have not noticed any issues with it, Was out with my friends, had some alcohol (not too much) saw my girlfriend and had a good time all around.

Friday I went to the Nurse for a Health check who said my health was normal, but my blood pressure was slightly higher than it should be for someone my age.

Now it's Monday and I am at my desk. and the lump in the throat is bothering me, why? because I'm more conscious of it I think?

Doctors want me to do 1 month more of omezrapole so I will continue with that and update on what happens as I go.

- Kyle
    Do let us know! My throat lump has gone miraculously after I switched from wholegrains to normal grains and I got busy and forgot about it. I also experience horrible stabbing stomach pains and I believe mines caused by gastritis or something similar because mine started again after I took some painkillers for a week or so. It's so stressing

Hi Guys,

So to keep you updated.

Things I have Noticed:

** It's Worse during work or the day time
    ** Better at the weekends than the weekdays
    ** better if I have a beer, but worse a few hours after the beer
    ** Goes away when I sleep
    ** barely noticeable when I wake up
    ** LPR seems to cause Tonsil Stones (I don't think its the other way around)

The throat is driving me crazy, it's like a really sore throat at the moment. I keep getting Tonsil Stones as well which I have put down to a symptom of the LPR. So to resolve that I've been gargling salt water, I bought a mouth irrigator as well after some information suggesting that it helps.

Things I am doing:

** Using a Wedge Pillow at night
    ** Taking 20mg Omezrapole daily
    ** Quit Smoking (Use a nicotine inhaler sometimes)
    ** Hardly Drink Alcohol
    ** Drinking Green Tea and Ginger Tea
    ** Cut Coffee Completely
    ** Trying to increase healthy foods and eliminate anything that may trigger it (Garlic, Onion Tomato)
    **Eating More Melon, low-fat Natural Yoghurt and Honey.
    ** Attempting to Destress myself, Although I am quite a stress prone person.

Considering booking another doc appointment to get an endoscopy planned. Anything I can be doing to get this healed?

Will this go away in time?

Anything I can be doing to get this healed?

Will this go away in time?
    Yes, if you continue to change your lifestyle and eating habits, the reflux can be controlled. I stand by my previous post and advice. Having suffered for years with reflux, it was finding a med that helped (Protonix) and following the FODMAP diet that really helped. It took a few months but everything settled down and I've nary had an issue since.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Did you find it difficult to change your lifestyle, I'm 23 and I have to say the hardest thing to change is Drinking, do you drink at all? or have you had to stop completely?

I should be clear, I am in no way an alcoholic and I do not drink every day. But I do drink every week.

The problem I am finding is changing all these things that I enjoy is actually causing me more stress.

Did you find it difficult to change your lifestyle, I'm 23 and I have to say the hardest thing to change is Drinking, do you drink at all? or have you had to stop completely?

I should be clear, I am in no way an alcoholic and I do not drink every day. But I do drink every week.

The problem I am finding is changing all these things that I enjoy is actually causing me more stress.
    I certainly was a wild one in the past but it was those very things that contributed to the physical issues I deal with today. For all intents and purposes, due to the medications I take for my physical issues, I don't drink. What I mean is that I will indulge in "a" beer, maybe two, 2x a month with a good meal. I don't drink spirits and I have difficulty with wine so that's gone too.

I get that at 23 the social aspects of alcohol and food are prevalent but if you're finding a correlation (keep that food and beverage journal) between a few beers and added reflux, it's a no brainer.

Based on your post, the pattern of how and when it affects you is definitely stress related IMO. Getting help for your anxiety will also treat the physical ramifications of it as well.

Positive thoughts

i have tried making lifestyle changes, but it did not actually help it made it worse. maybe because these lifestyle changed are seriously making me depressed about how i cannot do this or that without worrying. i have an endoscopy planned soon and i hope i can finally get to the bottom of this too. i have also gone back to my every day life and i noticed that it does not make much difference.

i have also been doing a lot of research and some people have described that their symptoms of LPR went away with antidepressants. i will look into this more. find it very suspicious on this because LPR is more prominent in people over the age of 50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information