Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 1 - please hold my hand

Day 1 - please hold my hand

I started the sertraline last night, 25mg. I always used to take it at night as I told myself I would sleep through most side effects.

I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin this morning, hot and cold, racing thoughts, anxiety. I'm regretting taking it as I have work tomorrow and my 4 children today.

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 ----------

Please reassure me, the anxiety is absolutely through the roof, I'm sat in a corner of a couch, scared to move. Arms, back and neck skin hot and prickling, shaking, jaw clenched. I don't think I can take another one.

Re: Day 1 - please hold my hand

hey,

i am on my second week of sertraline (back on the wagon).
    i would always take it for like 4 or 5 days and then stop because of the side effects i felt. same as yours plus horrendous dizziness.
    but i told myself i had to push through and see what happened, because you dont know until you try right?...and they do say to give it at least 4 weeks at the very least.

i felt exactly the same as you, but after a week things started to calm down a bit and my negative thoughts got a tiny bit quieter. my side effects are only bothering me again now because i missed a dose *silly me* but i keep trying to remember that its just got to get going in my system and i should come right.
    to each their own, and i guess everything works different for everyone, but if you need to have a chat with your doc and see what he/she says.

sorry your feeling like this, and im sure it will get better, just try to push through.
    i totally know how it feels though, especially with kids to look after!

positive vibes to you! let us know how you get on

Thank you for the reply, I have been going between panic and tears all day. I think some of it is just sadness that I've ended up back on sertraline and fear of how I can hold down a manager job and look after my kids when struggling to function with start ups.I'm just heartbroken and feel very alone.

Iit's any help, I went through the exact same feelings while starting up sertraline again (while trying to hold down a new job and look after my son) I actually thought I was loosing it and was so scared that I'd never find a way out, crying and just feeling overall helpless and so soooo frustrated. And it totally is such an alone feeling - unless people have been there they just don't quite get it.

But then I had a couple of good days where I started to see glimmers of happiness again so I'm trying to stick it out. I'm only early days too I think I'm like day 6 if I count the 2 days I missed. Just don't give up yet - give it some time and then reevaluate because we're all different. I know it doesn't feel like it when your in the throws of it all but it will get better. I'm going through a blip at the moment but I just try to remember that i have had good days so it is possible (gosh sometimes I wish I could take my own advice lol).

What's your sleep like on sertraline? I feel like my eyeballs are falling out of my face lol I'm sooooo tired!! Plus I have a cold so that's just fab on top of everything else lol.

Anxiety (and all mental health in general) is a real b***h!

Hopefully you start feeling better soon - positive vibes

I've been taking this for a few weeks. My anxiety is almost completely gone. It's kind of crazy. But I don't like the way it makes me feel... and I have this weird and annoying eye pain and difficulty peeing. Is this normal?

Afternoon all. Saw my gp today, bloods taken. Still to keep taking the sertraline even though I feel totally floored with depression. It's like the sertraline has made everything so much worse. I don't feel myself, I have the impending doom feeling and I'm so lonely. No appetite either. I'm worried it won't work for me as its the second times I've been on it. My sleeping was fine but with the sertraline, I'm waking up every hour.

Has the Dr. given you anything to help you sleep or for the anxiety like a benzo to help you through the start up?

No, just told me to start on 25mg.

I don't think I can keep taking the sertraline, I've woken up to shaking, jaw clenching, anxiety in my stomach and hot flashes, I feel like I'm going to die. I'm scared to get out of bed. I'm getting worse and worse, not better.

I really have no advice. I know people say to stick it out. I only lasted 20 days on the same dose. All I did was sleep, felt like a zombie and trips at 4am to the bathroom. My doctor and I agree that it did help reset my circuits! I now manage my anxiety with the tools my therapist gave me and I am medication and anxiety free. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleThistles View Post
    No, just told me to start on 25mg.

I don't think I can keep taking the sertraline, I've woken up to shaking, jaw clenching, anxiety in my stomach and hot flashes, I feel like I'm going to die. I'm scared to get out of bed. I'm getting worse and worse, not better.
    Ask your GP if it's okay to drop the dose back to 12.5mg for a week and also for a prescription for a small dose of one of the benzodiazepine (BZD) to ease the spike in anxiety, or a low 15mg dose of mirtazapine if s/he doesn't prescribe BZDs.

While the initial side-effects can be unpleasant, they are rarely a sign of harm. Anxious minds can also magnify them, so try and keep busy so yours has less time to dwell on them. It's not easy, but the results are usually worth the trauma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information