Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I dont get cymbalta ??????????

Re: I dont get cymbalta ??????????

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    But it does often enough to make trying higher doses worthwhile, Terry. If my doctors had not explored the upper dose limits I would have been leading the life of what the Japanese call a 'Hikikomori', a recluse imprisoned by agoraphobia, for the last 30 years.

Marketing is probably the major factor, but also most antidepressants were developed before their binding potential could be measured so their supposed effects were based mostly on circumstantial evidence and a fair amount of guessing. Even now binding assays are far from precise, with a 5-10 fold variation quite common even when tested by the same lab. Much of the data is also based on non human receptors and transporters which may reduce its value.

Plus, these are lab results which may or may not reflect what actually happens in a living brain. One of the reason the low serotonin hypothesis gained early credibility is that in test tubes antidepressants do what the hypothesis proposes. It was only dispelled when the invention of microdialysis pipettes allowed researchers to test the hypothesis within living brains. I remember reading a mid 1990s by Chantal Moret and Mike Briley in which they repeated an in vitro experiment they'd done a few years previously, this time using in living rats instead of rat brain slices, and being puzzled by the results failing to replicate the earlier finding. Researchers don't often express surprise in their papers, but they did.
    I don't disagree, Ian. For many that extra helps greatly, it's just that for some the med is a dud and they switch and maybe even increase with that until they find what works. But GP's can also be a bit over zealous upping doses far too quickly or even when the patient is responding well already.

I can understand the drugs companies trialling, getting licenced and then never caring as the watch their reps pull the cash in for them. But the medical professionals you would think would be altering the status of drugs where needed. It just seems led by the companies with often little interest from the docs in changing things because the drugs are plastering over problems in patients.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I can understand the drugs companies trialling, getting licenced and then never caring as the watch their reps pull the cash in for them. But the medical professionals you would think would be altering the status of drugs where needed. It just seems led by the companies with often little interest from the docs in changing things because the drugs are plastering over problems in patients.
    A lot of the medical professions, psychiatrists included, have only limited understanding of receptor affinities, etc. The number of posters here on both mirtazapine and quetiapine, which are very *similar in their action is evidence of this.

* mirtazapine: H1: 1.6 Ki, 5-HT2a: 69.0 Ki, D2: 1000 Ki
    * quetiapine : H1: 6.9 Ki, 5-HT2a: 118. Ki, D2: 500. Ki

As for the drug companies, they lose interest as soon as thr patent expires and their market share begins evaporating. That is assuming they cared in the first place. The big players that created the antidepressants most of us are taking have pretty much abandoned psych meds generally, and antidepressants particularly in recent years. Small startups are doing what antidepressant drug development there is, though this may change given recent excitement about ketamine.

I don't disagree, Ian. For many that extra helps greatly, it's just that for some the med is a dud and they switch and maybe even increase with that until they find what works. But GP's can also be a bit over zealous upping doses far too quickly or even when the patient is responding well already.

TERRY what dose of CYMBALTA do you take

60mg. It was a nightmare for me on that dose and the following year was far worse than the previous one. I was a total mess. If I had known then what I do now I would have come off it. I was obsessive as hell with the explosion of OCD I had.

It just didn't suit me. I was on Cit previously at 20mg and that worked much better for me.

Going up would just mean I got worse but my GP should have pulled me straight off this med.

60mg. It was a nightmare for me on that dose and the following year was far worse than the previous one. I was a total mess. If I had known then what I do now I would have come off it. I was obsessive as hell with the explosion of OCD I had.

It just didn't suit me. I was on Cit previously at 20mg and that worked much better for me.

Going up would just mean I got worse but my GP should have pulled me straight off this med.
    CITALOPRAM was the same to me has Cymbalta to you the spawn of the devil. I have used all ssris apart from Paxil and put escitalopram has no 1, why in hell was you on a med 2 years that didnt work.???????????????

I'm still on it, may be 5 years nearly now. I found ways to reduce my anxiety and I guess I have adjusted, although I still experience regular flare ups which are nowhere near as bad as back then. For me it's like the side effects just ran for a very long time as my symptoms were nothing like what I had before. I was too messed up to sort through the issue and trusted my GP. Back then I had no therapy and just listened to him about anxiety, I didn't put time into reading about it as I thought he was giving get me what I needed to know.

I need to get off it really but I'm loathed to let my GP play med lottery after getting to a better place. I've found Omega 3 stops the mood swings caused by this med and I'm trying out other things to see if it deals with the other issues and then I shall come off it knowing it will be safer.

I wonder whether the Serotonin element was helping me but the NE was fighting against?

with all meds that are for depression and anxiety, the depression has to be nuked before it makes a start on the anxiety, could be months before you get any relief from anxiety . lots of people think it works on both at the same time boy are they in for a shock

braindead, could I ask why you were prescribed ssri drugs when you have a bipolar diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    braindead, could I ask why you were prescribed ssri drugs when you have a bipolar diagnosis?
    OFF COURSE GOOGLE WOULD BE QUICKER

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/bipolar-ssris

Quote Originally Posted by braindead View Post
    with all meds that are for depression and anxiety, the depression has to be nuked before it makes a start on the anxiety, could be months before you get any relief from anxiety . lots of people think it works on both at the same time boy are they in for a shock
    I definitely felt a little better for a few days about a week into starting the 30mg dose but then it went back to how I felt before I started it. But the 60mg have me the worst about 10 days of my life! Very different symptoms, I hated the adrenaline rushes and constant agitation.

Then within weeks came the OCD...

When I started Cit I quickly became depressed. Giving me a hypnotic gave me a few days where I felt a lot better but I suspect that was more the relief of catching up from the insomnia. Insomnia can be very frustrating!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information