Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Imipramine or Clomipramine

Re: Imipramine or Clomipramine

Took first 100mg dose last night 29th August. Still waking early (around 4am and laying there awake until it is time to get up for work (usually around 5.30-6.00am). Really struggling with the anxiety still during the day. I want to try and stick it out because I don't want to change meds AGAIN, but it is very difficult to put up with it. Plus I don't know if I am going to be stuck like this or once the body gets use to it, it will start to decrease. Feeling a bit off today also. Heart rate is up over the 100s if I get up to do anything, but sitting or laying down, resting heart rate is around 70.

Hi Mermaid,

It's so hard to know if we should stick with the med, or if it's just not the right fit for us. I have a feeling the Celexa i'm taking is not doing much for me, and so the doctor added Nortryptyline. I'm feeling anxious today (much less than yesterday), but i'm wondering if I need to just drop/ or change the Celexa. The psychiatrist didn't want to change too many variables so she though it would be easiest to add nort to see if would help alleviate my terrible anxiety. I'm going to double the dose of nort on Friday, that way I can deal with the extra anxiety over the weekend. I wonder if I should just start now and deal with it with Xanax if I need too. Thoughts??

Hi! I agree with the psych and not changing too many things at one time, because then you don't know what is causing what. It is your choice if you want to increase, as you said you do have backup Xanax there if your anxiety spikes. I am going back to see my psych today as things have gone down hill very quickly anxiety wise when I increased to 100mg. I just can't tolerate it, plus it shoots my heart rate up. I am going to ask her if it is worth continuing or if I should try something else or go back to the Nort. She said because I am having increase heart rate on 100mg there is very little room for increase past that, so I may have needed to change anyway. I will see what she says in any case. Kind of wishing I had just stuck with the Nort now. I have booked a holiday two weeks away and with the way I am feeling now, I would not be able to go. Keep in touch and I will let you know how I get on this afternoon. Tracy xx

Hi Mermaid,

How did things go today? I have noticed an increase in heart rate too, but then it goes back to normal. Like right now it's at 67 which is good. You are right about not changing too many variables at once. I was thinking about raising the dose this weekend and then seeing how that goes. Otherwise, I may ask to switch over from Celexa to Lexepro. Lexepro is supposed to be better for anxiety (and is the sister drug), however I remember trying that years ago. I only stuck it out for 7 weeks. I may try that again and see how it goes :( It's too bad that clonazepam is the only thing helping me. I wonder if I'll be on that for the rest of my life. One day at a time, I suppose. Not sure how i'm going to know when to wean off that, but we'll see.

Hi Ethansmom! Just back from the psych. She has taken me off Clomipramine and put me back on Nortriptyline. She felt this was the best way forward as the Clomipramine has really ramped up my anxiety, plus I was having the fast heartrate she said I probably wouldn't get passed 100mg. One morning I woke up and my heartrate was 160bpm. It was starting to add to my anxiety as well as I was worried that I was going to have a heart attack. Not that fast heart rate can cause that (I think it is only if it stays high continuously), but I am also over weight and have had high cholesterol. So tonight I start back on the Nortriptyline. It may not have been perfect last time, but I was at least functioning. Since Monday I have felt terrible with anxiety and really agitated. So if this doesn't work, I will be back in hospital so they can monitor how I am going. I really don't want to go back to hospital, so fingers crossed that this works. Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on. xx

Ok. I'm so glad you switched back. Sometimes we have to listen to what our bodies are telling us! I know we have anxiety, but we have to advocate for ourselves at the same time. Tomorrow makes 3 weeks for me on the 10 mg of Nort. I am going to go up to 20 this weekend and see how I feel. Right now I'm still anxious but more back to my baseline anxiety so maybe it's time to go up. If you can do it, so can I. I just need to take that leap of faith. I'll keep you posted
    Take care
    Sara

Hi Sara! I stopped the Clomipramine cold turkey on Wednesday night, took 25mg Nort on Thursday and 75mg Nort last night. I am to stay on that dose until I see her again on Monday. I am on 2mg Clonazepam in the morning, 1mg at midday and 2mg at night. That is such a huge dose, but believe it or not, I am still getting anxiety in between doses. Usually towards the end of each 6 hour period. I am petrified of taking so much, but because she is ramping up the Nort so quickly and my depression is so bad (like agitated/anxious depression) I guess is the best way to describe it, she has told me to trust her and let's get this done quickly (in one week) and then come back to just the 2mg of Clonazepam. I could either go into hospital and do it or stay at home and do it. I chose to stay at home and do it. It is Saturday today and I see her again on Monday. Shitting myself, but I don't know what else to do except trust her. Before I saw her on Thursday I was a mess and couldn't see any way to solve this problem with my anxiety being so bad. So I have trust her...I still feel nervous about it though. Hope you are going okay and the increase hasn't been too bad. Let you know how you are getting on? Tracy

Update: Took the 2mg last night and the 2mg this morning and have decided that it is too much. I slept 10 hours last night, then woke up for two hours and slept for another two hours. My Mum said that I looked drugged, so I didn't take any at midday and am feeling much more with it. Am starting to feel more anxious now, but will try and hang out till about 8.00pm and take my night time dose. Think I might just take 1mg at bed time and see how I feel. That's what I usually would have taken anyway.

THanks for the update. I'm day 7 into the nort. I was feeling better until yesterday(I got into a car accident), but thankfully am okay. I'm not sure if it's the increase in nortriptyine making me anxious, or the car accident (or both)
    Sara

I've been prescribed Clomipramine and don't take it. Apparently one of the side effects is big weight gain. I've always gained weight on SSRIs which is a big problem as I have an eating disorder as well as anxiety and OCD. The doctor must think I'm crazy if they think I'm going to take this, I'd rather suffer what I'm going through now which is hell but I'm done with meds I hate the feeling on them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information