Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Imipramine or Clomipramine

Re: Imipramine or Clomipramine

THanks for your quick response regarding the nortriptyline. I'm always afraid of side effects and my doctor knows this. I was told to take it before bed. My main goal too is to get off clonazepam. I take 2MG a day. So now i'm going to be taking 3 drugs... I hate that! Clonazapam is what really helps me, but only to a certain point. I'm going to take my first dose of nortrip on Friday evening to see how I react. I'm already catastrophizing some horrific outcome---so much anxiety!

Were you taking your nortrip after the clonazepam at night? Just curious what your schedule was like?

Hi! I'm the same with worrying about side effects, but at the end of the day, the docs know what they are doing. My schedule was:

8am .5mg Clonazepam
    2pm .5mg Clonazepam
    Before Bed (so around 9ish). 1mg Clonazepam, 125mg Nortriptyline, 1.5mg Olanzapine, 30mg Mirtazapine. (It was about 10 tablets all together and I swallowed them all together).
    I have never had any bad side effects doing this and if my kids woke up during the night, I was able to get up to them without any problems.

Please try not to worry about it, it is such a tiny dose. I don't even think you would have side effects on that dose, but if you do it would be more like, dry mouth and constipation.

If you need to chat, I'm here :-)

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredbear View Post
    Hello,
    I just wanted to give you my experience with clomipramine. I was started on this by a psychiatrist when I was 15 due to sudden onset of severe panic disorder - not OCD. I have been on it (on various doses between 50mg and 150mg) ever since - I am now 27. Although I still have bad phases of severe anxiety (and some obsessive thoughts regarding death) generally, I would say this drug saved my life.
    My mum also started experiencing panic attacks a few years back and has been on a low dose of clomipramine which has helped her.
    It's quite a rare drug these days apparently but I can really say it has helped me, as much as I believe any med would. I haven't suffered any serious bouts of depression since before being prescribed it either.
    Only major side effects are bad dry mouth and drowsiness but the dry mouth goes away and the drowsiness is manageable!
    Hi Scaredbear! Thank you for giving us your experience on Clomipramine. It can be quite a stuggle sometimes on here to find someone who has experience with these medications. With regards to the drowsiness are you still able to drive, work etc. I am starting tonight on 25mg. My main concern is an increase in anxiety, as my levels are already pretty high, even though the last few days haven't been too bad because I have been able to have a relatively good sleep. I'm on other sedating medication (olanzapine, mirtazapine and klonopin, so I am hoping once the Clomipramine kicks in, I can start to reduce some of these meds. Thanks again for your input. Tracy

I left a message for my psy this morning, I thought she nortryptalyine was the generic for Elavil. Now i'm wonder if she meant to prescribe Amatryptyline?? So frustrating, now i'm questioning if she even wrote down the right prescription.

Hi Scaredbear! Thank you for giving us your experience on Clomipramine. It can be quite a stuggle sometimes on here to find someone who has experience with these medications. With regards to the drowsiness are you still able to drive, work etc. I am starting tonight on 25mg. My main concern is an increase in anxiety, as my levels are already pretty high, even though the last few days haven't been too bad because I have been able to have a relatively good sleep. I'm on other sedating medication (olanzapine, mirtazapine and klonopin, so I am hoping once the Clomipramine kicks in, I can start to reduce some of these meds. Thanks again for your input. Tracy[/QUOTE]

Hello! Yes I can still drive and hold down a full time job on 150mg. I was slightly less drowsy when on a lower dose - 80mg for about 2 years at uni and I managed to have a complete university experience including working late nights till 3am in a bar and getting up for a 9am lecture. To be completely honest, I think with the drowsiness you just learn to manage it. It's something you get used to. I have been feeling tired for years but I would rather have that and less anxiety than the other way round!
    I'm not saying it's a wonder drug I still have bad anxiety spells that can last months HOWEVER when I was started on clomipramine I couldn't leave the house whereas now I live a normal life. In my experience, doctors aren't that familiar with clomipramine as SSRI's are more commonly prescribed and clomipramine is a tricyclic. It is therefore quite difficult to find people with experience of it. If I can help in any way I will!

Hi Scaredbare! That is great that it hasn't impacted on your life in a negative way. I still have kids to run around to school etc, so am glad I can still drive etc. I took my first dose last night, I was a little apprehensive, but it turned out okay. I woke early at 3.30am, but I think I managed to dose back off, even though it sometimes feels like you just lay there awake. I had an early start for work so was up and out of the house by 5.00am. Not feeling too bad so far (I had imagined much worse). I woke up drenched in sweat (it is winter here at the moment though, so I was pretty rugged up. I could feel my anxiety a little more than usual and just feel a bit meh. I am at work and it feels like the time is dragging on and on. Haven't really felt like eating anything and have been drinking lots of water and tea with ginger in it to keep any nausea away. I don't even know if I have nausea. I feel sleepy and yawning. Haven't noticed any change in heart rate or anything else really. Will update later. Well off to bed after my first day. Nothing really to update on. Felt a bit off most of the day, but it wasn't bad, was tired late afternoon so had a lay down. Not sure if I slept. Will report tomorrow. Uneventful day today.
    Last edited by Mermaid16; 11-08-17 at 11:20.

Yesterday wasn't too bad. I had a very bad headache, like I had been hit in the head with an ice pick kind of a headache. I think this is probably a mixture of withdrawal from the Nort and starting the Clomipramine. I ventured out to do some groceries, but stayed at home so I could lay down when I felt like it because of the headache. I couldn't sleep though and was up a lot longer last night than I usually am. I have done three nights at 25mg and am thinking of increasing to 50mg tonight as we have a public holiday tomorrow. After that I think I might sit at 50 for a bit longer. I am tolerating it okay so far. Headaches and anxiety have been manageable. Back to work on Tuesday.

Headaches definately been the worst. Today, same thing. Fell asleep this morning. Headache still there when I woke up. I'm sure yesterday it was behind my right eye and today behind my left.
    Last edited by Mermaid16; 13-08-17 at 06:32.

Hi mermaid,
    Is it normal to feel drowsy on 10 mg of nortriptyline? Its day 2 and I feel drowsy even though I take of at night. I also take celexa and clonazapam.

Hi! To be honest I can't really remember and if it did it passes. I would say give it a week and you will probably find it goes. It just takes a bit of time to get into your system. How have you been feeling otherwise. I did a quick taper off Nort (within a week) and on to Clomipramine and I'm finding it quite difficult. I think I should have taken a bit longer to come down in the Nort. I just want to sleep all day and I'm back at work tomorrow.

Other than feeling very drowsy the next day, I do feel a bit better. My doctor said Nort starts working very quickly. I'm only on 10MG. I'm also concerned about weight gain as a side effect (as I've already gained 20 pounds from Prozac that has only budged about 5 pounds or so.) I'm been working out everyday and going to therapy weekly. I have it tonight and am so excited to talk with the therapist. I just hope this gives me the boost to calm down. I do notice my pulse is a bit higher- but returns to normal when I am totally calm (at night). I wonder if I will have an issue with that. I know you mentioned your pulse was higher. I have Obsessive thoughts and wear a fit bit everyday, so i'm constantly checking. Maybe I should just put down the fit bit!!! It's feeding my anxiety. Or maybe only look at it twice a day instead of every 10 minutes

Hi! I think with a lot of meds they say you put on weight. I think if you exercise and eat healthy you will be okay. I have a fit bit too. I check my pulse a lot too, but I don't get worried about it. My psych once told me that they wouldn't be worried until my resting pulse was up around 130bpm. It has never even got close. If you obsess and worry over it though, maybe be better to turn the heart rate monitor off. I am pretty sure you can do this in the settings. That's good that you are having therapy. I really enjoyed the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, but not the CBT so much. I felt I got a lot more information about how to deal with the thoughts with the ACT. I went up to 50mg on Clomipramine last night. Not feeling too bad today, but at work, so can't nap if I feel drowsy. I'm not overly drowsy. I've noticed that my eyes seem a bit blurrier today, other than that pretty much the same. I have notice the intrusive thoughts that I usually only have when my anxiety is high have come back, but I think it is the withdrawal from the Nort and starting the Clomip that has caused that. The psych said to stay on this dose for a week, so next Monday I will go up to 75mg and then sit there for a few weeks and then evaluate how the anxiety etc is. I read that it takes 8 days for Nort to be eliminated from the body. I took my last dose on Wednesday, so this Thursday the 17th it should be out of my body. I was pretty rough over the weekend, so I am hoping that is the only withdrawal I will have from it. Has PDU left? Sorry for rambling. Just doing a bit of an update at the same time. Still having the intrusive thoughts, I'm trying to ignore them, but they are very annoying at the moment. Hope they start to fade soon. If my mind is busy I forget about them. Had been feeling kind of flat over the last couple of days, but just baked a cake when I got home from work, so things are hopefully improving. I always bake when I'm feeling good, so hopefully I'm on the up
    Last edited by Mermaid16; 15-08-17 at 08:56.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information