Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low blood platelets urgent referral to haematologist tomorrow

low blood platelets urgent referral to haematologist tomorrow

Hi everyone, ive been feeling really down for a while now nothing seems to be working to make me feel better. Just don't feel right at all. I decided to ask my doctor to do some blood tests to rule out anything physical and I got a phonecall back the same day to say my blood platelets were very low at 17 so they wanted me to go straight to hospital. When I got there they retested my blood a total of 3 times and the result still came back at 17 so they discharged me the next day and told me to go back to the doctors and have it retested there. I went doctors and had it retested and got a call the same day to say my platelets had now dropped to 14 and they would get me a urgent appointment to see a hemotologist which is tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone had been through anything similar or could shed some light on the subject as I dont know what to expect and am pretty confused and worried as I asked what the normal count was and my doctor said anything between 150-400 so 14 seems really low to me. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

Re: low blood platelets urgent referral to haematologist tomorrow

My blood platlets are low too 110 but not that low. Most likely by now you maybe would have noticed some kind of physical symptom. They will probably give you medicine to see if they can raise your counts.

There are many things they can do. Do not panic or over look into it this will not make it worse but make you worsementally. Just due what you Dr needs you to do.

Take Care

Thankyou for replying to me. Was really confused as don't know much about blood platelets and doctors have seemed reluctant to tell me anything or what might be causing it all theyve said is normal range is between 150-400. Do you mind me asking if you were ever referred to a haematologist I havnt a clue what to expect did they ever give you a cause as to why your platelets are low?

There are many conditions which can cause this, some are serious, some not so much. Don't overthink it, but definitely have it checked out.
    That seems like a extremely low value, are you experiencing bleeding? Don't wanna scare you but you should have it checked out as soon as possible, that value is incredibly low!

Thanks for replying I know I was really shocked that the normal range is between 150-400 and mine is only 14 it could possibly be even lower now as that was last weeks result. My doctor was unhappy that nothinhgwas done when I was admitted to hospital thats why hes made the urgent referal to the haematologist. The usual waiting time is about 6 weeks where I live but he has got me in within a week so looks like hes taking it seriously. I am just having some slight bleeding from my nose and gums but I just dont feel right at all no motivation to do anything no appetite and hardly sleeping. Hopefully theyll gbeable to explain more at the appointment tomorrow.

I'm not sure what could make your count that low. Just wanted to drop in and say good luck at your appt and try not to worry!

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you I havnt got a clue either just hope they'll beable to find out whats causing it tomorrow as when I phoned they said it would just be a chat with the consultant and another blood test im hoping the count hasnt dropped any lower but im guessing it probably has as dont feel any better. Thanks yes I'll update on here and let you know what happens tomorrow

I was refered to a hemotologist. My count stays around 110 all the time for about a year now. It could have actually even been longer until my anxiety issues returned and had blood work done for the first time in years.

Alot of Dr will not even treat or tell you anything about it until it gets below 100000 or even less.

I know this too because I have gone to the ER for anxiety stuff and they do blood work comes back around 110 and they dont say nothing about it.

Like someone said there are many things they can do for it. Like I said dont look to much into it till after you see your doctor or you will drive yourself crazy. Like I did and still do at times with other weird symptoms I get..

Thanks for replying. Just a quick update been to see the hemotologist today he said he thinks I have a condition called I.t.p. they checked my blood platelets again and theyve now come back at 7. They want to put me on steroids but im abit worried as said they could effect my mental state and already feel low enough as it is :'(

Glad that you got some answers today. Though possibly not as positive ones as you would have liked.

I haven't heard of steroids causing problems mentally, but you have no doubt looked into it in greater detail than me.

Now that you know what the problem is you at least will be able to make a start on getting it sorted.

Elen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information