Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping in chest

Dropping in chest

The last few days my anxiety has been worse than ever, it has completely knocked me out. I think I had a panic attack the other day, but I'm not sure, it felt awful.

Anyway, I have had a couple new symptoms in the last week. The first is hard to explain. It feels like a sudden drop in the chest, like going over a humpback bridge, or dropping on a roller coaster, but the feeling is in the chest instead. It only lasts a second or so, earlier I felt a couple beats of my heart too, it seems to happen 3 or 4 times a day. I've noticed I get missed beats too, I think I've had them ages, but not really thought much about them.

The other is a tight grabbing feeling at the base of my throat/top of chest. Like someone has their hand around the bottom of my throat. My throat also feels a bit dry.

I'm seeing a mental health practitioner next week. Then I might go and see the doctor again, as I couldn't be anymore sure something is wrong. I'll reply to the other posts I made here soon too, they haven't gone unnoticed. Thanks.

Re: Dropping in chest

Hi pgw

I too have the dropping feeling in the chest, I used to get it as I was dropping off to sleep but now I get in during the day as well. I don't know what it is either, but as I've had it quite a while, I think it must just be anxiety, I also get the same thing sometimes in my head, like for a split second everythings gone! I dunno this damn anxiety can do anything to ya body.

I hope that you get on ok with the mental health practioner.

Take care for now

Elspeth

I am pretty sure I get the samething.Actually I have associated it with what was missed beats..Also get the thing around the throat and sometimes feels almost like someone trying to cut my air off..but feel a dropping sensation there too.. I don't know what either of these amount to other than normal.. I suppose.

I have always felt them most of my life but seem to notice or dwell on them when I am worried about myself.I don't know whether to say they are normal or abnormal but can say I get them too and im an anxious person or well at least im trying to get out of being anxious..Not sure its working but thought I would add my two cents in there..

I get things like this too, I'm pretty sure it's all anxiety, as I'm still here and not feeling any worse. So many unpleasant things are due to anxiety, I bet that's what the doc says too.

I get this to, it's one of my worst symptons of anxiety, it's exactly like you're at the top of a roller coaster and suddenly drop down, I get mine in the pit of my stomach and it leaves an awful after feeling that I find so hard to shake.

Hi pgw
    I get this too. and i hate it so much. i never really knew what is was, but just put it down to anxiety. Just try to distract your self when this happens. hard I know, but it seems to work for me
    Debera

I have felt this for as long as i can remember and it scares the life out of me but it seems we all suffer!

I tend to try and cough to get my breath back and stop it doing it if I can

I get that feeling in my chest. Sometimes it wakes me up from sleep, or it sometimes happens just as I'm dropping off to sleep. I think its likely to be just a big muscle spasm caused by muscles in the chest being tensed up by anxiety.

Elspeth - I've had it in my head aswell, literally just for a couple of seconds. Its like a big spasm goes from my chest, or sometimes from a bit lower, and it causes ripples right up into the head. My GP says it can all be explained by anxiety. Very scarey when it happens though.
    And the storm will end

Im releived to find others get this too. Its exactly as you explained in the chest and I get the feeling that Im being smothered. It does only last a second but its worrying.

I deal with it, by just letting it pass and try so hard not to add additional fear.

Luv Darkangel

Thanks to all of you! I seem to get bouts of it. I'm trying to hold of going to the doctors at the moment, until I go on a few courses for anxiety and depression in a few weeks time. I guess it's just something else to add to my ever growing list of symptoms.

Edit: Also, to add, the tight throat feeling lasted a couple weeks then gradually eased of again. Which keeps my hopes up that it is anxiety causing this.
    Last edited by pgw84; 13-06-07 at 18:53. Reason: Forgot something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information