Thread: Want to go backpacking

Want to go backpacking

So, I'm 28, nearly 29 and finally got the courage to get treatment for social anxiety. I've always wanted to go traveling, I feel it might help me grow out of this awkward shy and strange personality, learn new cultures, visit ancient places, I even taught myself Chinese and Spanish and can understand both at an intermediate level. .

At the moment, I find life boring, doing the same thing every year, I live on a family farm (that doesn't really pay) and it's boring and thinking about doing this till what ever age I reach depresses me.

Am I being unrealistic thinking about this at my age?

I'm always reminded by my mom that their getting old and have to think about the farm, and how everyone my age are narried or got kids by now, who's going to look after me etc.

I've always thought of going to somewhere like Australia, where it's winter here and quieter, possibly do a working holiday, or volunteering.

I wish I did it instead of wasting another second year in college when I was 19.

I got enough in my bank to buy a range rover. But for me, that wont be fun.

I get fears like, what if something bad happens here if I go, or what if I be too quiet and appear like an idiot.

I'm unsure what to try, go on group tours, i.e to Scotland or somewhere for a few weeks? Or go on bigger group tours abroad?
    And whether it's best to go solo or by tour.

Re: Want to go backpacking

Why not start out locally to get your feet wet. A group is a great idea too. Meeting people with similar interests would be good to help you overcome some of your social anxieties.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Do it!! Especially whilst you can still get a working holiday visa. I went to Australia when I was 19 it was part of my recovery. It did me absolute wonders!! You won't regret it, it's a fantastic place. Wherever you go though will help especially with confidence x

Aye, getting yourself out of the comfort zone is definitely something that will do wonders for you :-)

Have you done research on backpacking though? I've got friends who did that for 6 months and some even years and they've shared some stuff with me that says you really need to plan ahead before truly setting off.

Things such as money, food, shelter, transport, communication devices, flight ticket planning. Plan B in case things go wrong and you have to fly back home when you lost your documents or even got robbed etc.

That said, if you still wanna go, I definitely would support ya ;-)
    But perhaps you should consider starting small first. Go traveling like a backpacker around your area and try out the lifestyle first and see if you can go through it without your anxiety kicking you down?

That way, if your anxiety does become a problem, you'd be able to make it back home safe and you'd safe a ton of money too. By then, you can start working on yourself to prep for the next attempt. Failing a "Mock trip" doesn't seal your fate in traveling. You can always try again ;-)

Another thing to consider is going at it with a buddy.

I'm sure even if you can't find one locally, you might be able to find one online, though I ain't that sure how it works cause I've never done it but I've heard stories where strangers arrange to meet online together for travels and it was a good experience for them.

BUT gotta be mentally ready for ppl with different sets of behavior, some might even seem alien to you hah! But hey, you did say you wanna experience different culture right? :P

Let us know what your current plan is, yeah? ;-)

Hi, thank you all for your advice,very much appreciated.

Hi Happybread,
    Yeah, I've been lookinginto backpacking for years, whenI wanted to go to Australia or Thailand I did research on places to stay, look at youtube and advice from travel bloggers on places to go stay, and also being safe and the cost of everything, getting into the WHV programme etc.

I did research on countries I like to go, Thailand, Matanmar because I like Buddhism and it interests me, Spain and parts of latin America, mainly to do with history and wanting to see ancient places for real. Also Spain is nearer.

I like to try backpacking in the Philippines, I have relatives there but they have work.

I live in an area where there aren't many hostels around there are places here in Wales that interest me, like walking holidays, adventure activities like camping, but seem to be aimed at families and private groups.

I been looking into either south Wales or Scotland or England, I've seen guided tours online but they are quite pricey if you include pre-paid accommodation for a few days. I like being active, doing hikes, mountain climbing or cycling, being active helps with the mild depression and anxiety.

I'm currently having therapy for social anxiety and generalised anxiety too, and have started putting things to practice with exposure therapy joining a well being group in the local area.

Thanks for the advice

as someone who has travelled a lot himself, I can only say DO IT. it'll change your life for the better. I promise.

Thread Information