Thread: Scared to get back on Citalopram...

Scared to get back on Citalopram...

So, I was on Citalopram about 2 years ago.

My doctor refilled my script yesterday because my panic has been out of control the last two weeks or so, and I need some sort of relief.

The problem? The first time that I ever took it four years ago, I woke up a few hours after taking it and was very dizzy. Then the next day, my heart was beating SO HARD and kind of slow...

Seratonin syndrome scares me to death! :(

So now, I'm afraid that I am going to have a reaction to it (one of my biggest panic inducers is medication), and I'm afraid to take it, but I need to take it... I don't know what to do. :(
    Last edited by leyash; 28-07-17 at 15:08.

Re: Scared to get back on Citalopram...

Quote Originally Posted by leyash View Post
    So, I was on Citalopram about 2 years ago.

My doctor refilled my script yesterday because my panic has been out of control the last two weeks or so, and I need some sort of relief.

The problem? The first time that I ever took it four years ago, I woke up a few hours after taking it and was very dizzy. Then the next day, my heart was beating SO HARD and kind of slow...

Seratonin syndrome scares me to death! :(

So now, I'm afraid that I am going to have a reaction to it (one of my biggest panic inducers is medication), and I'm afraid to take it, but I need to take it... I don't know what to do. :(
    This is in no way to scare you! I was also on it a few years ago for anxiety after my mom passed away. I had some side effects with my heart and dizzy spells etc. My panic got so bad in April this yr from my nephews passing so my doc put me back on it and all hell broke loose. It made me depressed, suicidal, i vommited for 6 weeks, had internal shaking non stop. I was only on it for four weeks this time due to the severe adverse reaction. I would be very cautious with this med. Its no joke. I would highly suggest a diff route. I had to take off work for two months it was that bad. Im still recovering and have been off them almost two months. Please please please do your research.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crijbragg View Post
    This is in no way to scare you! I was also on it a few years ago for anxiety after my mom passed away. I had some side effects with my heart and dizzy spells etc. My panic got so bad in April this yr from my nephews passing so my doc put me back on it and all hell broke loose. It made me depressed, suicidal, i vommited for 6 weeks, had internal shaking non stop. I was only on it for four weeks this time due to the severe adverse reaction. I would be very cautious with this med. Its no joke. I would highly suggest a diff route. I had to take off work for two months it was that bad. Im still recovering and have been off them almost two months. Please please please do your research.

I was on it for almost two years and it worked great. I felt like a "normal" person. The first night and next day was the only "bad" experience that I had.

Honestly, this didn't help. I refuse to take any other medication because I've heard nothing but horror stories about other stuff... and now if I can't take this, I guess I'm just destined to be a panic stricken person for the rest of my life.

I won't even take multi-vitamins for fear of having a reaction to them...

Quote Originally Posted by leyash View Post
    I was on it for almost two years and it worked great. I felt like a "normal" person. The first night and next day was the only "bad" experience that I had.

Honestly, this didn't help. I refuse to take any other medication because I've heard nothing but horror stories about other stuff... and now if I can't take this, I guess I'm just destined to be a panic stricken person for the rest of my life.

I won't even take multi-vitamins for fear of having a reaction to them...
    I'm in the midst of resolving my anxiety issues due to the loss of 7 family members and ptsd from my ex husband trying to kill me multiple times. You will not be a panic stricken person the rest of ur life. I promise. Did something trigger your anxiety? Those meds only numb you. You need to get to the root cause of ur anxiety issues. I do emdr therapy and it works miracles. I had no hope but you have to have faith

Go back to your doctor and talk it out. If citalopram makes you dizzy maybe it's not right for you. There are lots of other antidepressants and I believe it's important to find one that is either side effect free or at least low level side effects you can live with.

Heart beating hard and slow is a recognised anxiety/panic symptom, albeit less common. Tell your doctor about it just to be safe.

I just deleted quite a bit of what I wrote as it didn't come across well and sounded unsympathetic. Apologies if somebody read it.
    Last edited by Montyzoo; 29-07-17 at 14:45.

Thread Information