Thread: First time propranolol concerns

First time propranolol concerns

Hello!

So I recently made a promise to myself and my gf that I would try propranolol tomorrow as I've been putting it off for about a year now and my anxiety problems still persist. The reason I've been putting it off for so long is because I have a horrific fear of taking medication, I even chicken out when it comes to paracetomol! The fear has nothing to do with swallowing pills or anything it's more around the fear of having a terrible reaction on it or having an allergic reaction to it.

I know that Propranolol slows your breathing and heart rate down and lowers your blood pressure. One of the scenarios I keep playing in my mind is that I'll take it and it will lower my blood pressure too much (already have low blood pressure), slow my heart down too much, make me extremely dizzy (already been dizzy for three weeks now) and make breathing difficult. Is this likely to happen? I'm on the lowest dose at 10mg but this doesn't make it seem any less scary.

The other concern I have is that for the last three days I've had the occasional episode where I begin to feel breathless with mild chest pain and my heart races a bit. I'm aware that this is most likely anxiety but my wind pipe sounds like it's narrowed a bit when I breath in during the breathless episode and you can hear this weird tension in my voice.....This has never occurred during my two years of constant anxiety. The reason I mention this is because I remember reading that you shouldn't take propranolol if you have asthma or a heart condition as it can be dangerous.....so basically I'm worried that I might have one of these conditions undetected and If I take the tablet I'll die.....Trust me, I know how dramatic and insane that sounds. I just want to know what you would do in my shoes?

Finally, is it okay to drink alcohol about four hours after taking the tablet?

I've had a few people say to me that, at 10mg, I'm unlikely to feel any different at all.....is this true? Any replies are appreciated and very welcome.....I'm pretty damn scared about this!

Re: First time propranolol concerns

Quote Originally Posted by NorseWolf94 View Post
    I know that Propranolol slows your breathing and heart rate down and lowers your blood pressure. One of the scenarios I keep playing in my mind is that I'll take it and it will lower my blood pressure too much (already have low blood pressure), slow my heart down too much, make me extremely dizzy (already been dizzy for three weeks now) and make breathing difficult. Is this likely to happen?
    No, it is not likely. If those side-effects were to occur they'd be most likely to do so at the upper end of the dose range. The usual dose to reduce high blood pressure is 80-240mg/day and after a heart attack it's 120-240mg/day. The maintenance dose for migraines is typically 160-240mg.

Do you live near a hospital with an A&E? Would you be less worried if you took the first dose in its waiting room, or maybe your GP's?

Also be aware that not all side-effects will necessarily be due to the medication. An anxious mind is very capable of delivering our worst nightmares if given the opportunity.

I've had a few people say to me that, at 10mg, I'm unlikely to feel any different at all.....is this true?
    This is impossible to say, but it is a low dose. Beta-blockers such as propranolol block adrenaline, aka epinephrine, receptors which diminishes/blocks the adrenaline surge symptoms of the flight-or-fight response. They have no direct on the mental side of anxiety, but for some stopping the physical symptoms is enough.

Re: First time propranolol concerns

Okay that's good to know that a much higher dose is normally used for lowering blood pressure etc. and knowing that there are people on doses as high as you said makes me feel a bit safer about only taking 10mg!

The A&E thing is a good idea but I know for a fact that if I should need urgent care an ambulance would be there within five minutes as I called 999 a while back for chest pains and they didn't waste any time. I'll be with someone when I do take it as well so I'm sure they'd dial 999 instantly should anything go wrong....I'd hope so anyway haha

Oh I know that all too well. I took citalopram for three days a while ago and had terrible 'side effects' which I later learned were actually anxiety symptoms that had arisen because of stressing about the medication going wrong....the mind is a powerful thing! I will definitely try to remind myself of that should I feel any anxiety like symptoms after taking the tablet tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply, you've made me feel a bit better about taking it!

Thread Information