Thread: Starting citalopram for the second time

Starting citalopram for the second time

So my gp has suggested I go back on 20mg of citalopram a day and while it did eventually help me last time I'm a bit scared of having to do the build up again and going through all the side effects. Does it get easier the second time round or so I just need to grin and bear it?

Re: Starting citalopram for the second time

Quote Originally Posted by Aleman200 View Post
    So my gp has suggested I go back on 20mg of citalopram a day and while it did eventually help me last time I'm a bit scared of having to do the build up again and going through all the side effects. Does it get easier the second time round or so I just need to grin and bear it?
    Unfortunately, for some side-effects can become progressively more severe each time. You may also need a higher dose than before to get the same level of control. I suggest you only take 10mg for the first week to limit the severity of any side-effects, but you should clear this with your GP first.

We all react differently, so it's virtually impossible to predict how each person will cope. I asked much the same question a couple of posts down. Today will see me take my second 20mg tablet, and this is also my second time around.

The last time I took Citalopram I had an A to Z list of side effects, and the first day was not particularly nice. This time, though, apart from feeling a little bit spaced out, I've not experienced any side effects. You may find the same, no different, worse or better.......I'm hoping the latter for you.

I decided to take the tablet, it's only a 10mg starting dose, instantly felt the need to vomit, just sat next to the toilet for about 10 minutes and it died down, was probably panic from taking it. Hopefully things will be a bit smoother for a couple of weeks. Hoping a 10mg dose will be easier on the side effects.

Started to get shaky legs yesterday and still got it. anyone had this before? I can walk fine, just feels shaky going down stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleman200 View Post
    Started to get shaky legs yesterday and still got it. anyone had this before? I can walk fine, just feels shaky going down stairs.
    I suspect this is mostly your mind. If citalopram was affecting your leg muscles it probably wouldn't happen only when going down stairs. Do you have any problem going up them?

It seems to be the same going up a bit too, like jelly almost. I can still do it fine, it's just weird.

I've been on cita before, i just don't remember getting shaky limbs. I'm only 26 so i doubt it's anything bad but still..
    Last edited by Aleman200; 03-08-17 at 13:24.

Thread Information