Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCD about putting on Facebook about holiday

Red face OCD about putting on Facebook about holiday

I'm going on holiday next year to Europe and going a few places by train. Or is Amsterdam and I'm worried about putting it on Facebook as it's quite a cultural place and people take drugs there so I'm worried people will think I'm there for the culture? It's a bit of an OCD I was the same with Blackpool I refused to check in. It's only a few places I'm like this about I OCD over it in my mind.

Re: OCD about putting on Facebook about holiday

Sod what people think. Go and enjoy yourself. Don't put it on Facebook of you don't want to

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzella View Post
    Sod what people think. Go and enjoy yourself. Don't put it on Facebook of you don't want to
    I want to put that in touring Europe on Facebook just worried about adding Amsterdam as I'm worried it's full of drug users.

As you know, Amsterdam is the capital city of the Netherlands. It's a heaving metropolis with all the trappings of a large modern city. The drug culture is sometimes overstated. It's easy to get involved in if you want to, but it's also easily avoided if you don't want to. I went a few years ago with two friends. None of us were remotely interested in the drugs side of things, so we didn't get at all involved.

It's a really attractive city with canals and plenty of things to do that don't involve weed. That said, it's so common to go there for that reason, in my experience nobody really judges you for it.

Personally, other than music and kitties, I have nothing else on my feed. I only use it to promote my music and never post anything personal on there.

Facebook posts are a choice. If you don't want people to know, then don't post. It really is that simple.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I spent a week in Amsterdam, and while you will walk past the "cafes" from time to time, there is so much more to do there - parks, museums, art galleries, pubs, good food, cycling, canal trips, shopping... The bit round the main station and the red light district is a bit stag party-ish, but you soon get past it.

Some older people who've never been on holiday further than Bognor Regis sometimes only know the cliches and think it's all about the jazz fags, but really it's a beautiful capital city and anyone who presumes you're going to get stoned is showing their ignorance.

Make sure you go to the Van Gogh museum while you're there, it's brilliant.

Since your touring Europe, it would look even less that way to people. If you just wanted to get stoned you would just go straight there.

Going to a place doesn't mean you support it's attitudes anyway. If so, many countries would be frowned on. It's history & culture that we go to those places for.

If you're into travelling, especially in Europe, I would go so far as to say that Amsterdam is somewhere you must see at some point.

I found the red light district fascinating. I'm not saying I necessarily approve, and I certainly didn't partake of its offerings, but it's actually quite an attractive area aesthetically. It's precisely because it's legal and accepted that it's not hidden away in some grotty part of town. It's almost inevitable you'll walk through it at some point. Even young families do. I was amazed at that. They don't seem to bat an eyelid at it.

The main point in this thread seems to be about wanting to share your experience on Facebook without being judged. It seems like you have to either do it and accept some will judge, or don't post and accept that you won't be able to share. My photos from my Amsterdam trip are on my profile. I don't care what anyone thought.

And it is not at all "full of drug addicts". Only cannabis is legal, so not that different from several US States

I realised I liked two people's posts in March and June of there Amsterdam holiday so perhaps people would have seen I liked those photos on my timeline which could be similar to me going there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information