Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALS Fear - Please Help

ALS Fear - Please Help

Hello:

I thoroughly recognize that I am probably absurd, but it would help to talk to some of you regarding my symptoms.

Earlier this year, I had some issues with tingling/twitching in my left arm, as well as perceived weakness. I was checked by a Neurologist who didn't seem too concerned, but ordered an MRI because I had uneven reflexes in my arm. I never got the MRI, because my insurance denied it, so I went to therapy which helped.

Flash forward to July, when I began noticing that liquids were "catching" in my throat, leading to a choke perhaps 2-3 times a week. It's only liquids, though occasionally something like watermelon juice (when eating watermelon) causes a choke. I obviously searched this and saw that this is often a common starting symptom for bulbar ALS. Now I cannot stop thinking about it and I'm having other odd symptoms too. I had some jaw stiffness and pain last week as well.

I'm seeing a neurologist tomorrow. But I'm so clammy and miserable. Anyone else have similar symptoms that ended up being nothing?

Re: ALS Fear - Please Help

Please read this...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Fishmanpa, thank you for your reply. I had reviewed your helpful post, it's the swallowing that really concerns me.

I know this fear all too much as ive had the fear for 10 months now. I know from past experience that being anxious can affect your swallowing, ive been like that since I was a kid. Every so often I'll struggle to swallow, but its always been an anxiety thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BazB44 View Post
    I know from past experience that being anxious can affect your swallowing, ive been like that since I was a kid. Every so often I'll struggle to swallow, but its always been an anxiety thing for me.
    Exactly!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi Everyone:

A quick update. I visited the neurologist today, who said that I had a normal exam according to her, but she was concerned about the reflexes issue (asymmetrical brisk reflexes on left side in Jan 2017), though those did not present when she looked at me today.

She said she doesn't think it's ALS, though now I'm so worried because I didn't think that asymmetrical reflexes were that big of a deal, and apparently they are, and apparently it IS an early sign of ALS.

Please be calm, you do not have ALS. She just told you that you had a normal exam and that the brisk reflexes were not present in your exam.

I was told by the neuro that I also had brisk reflexes and he said it was very normal for women/people with anxiety.

If you had ALS you would have seen many more symptoms by now. You have severe anxiety and it manifests in weird ways.

Relax, have some calm tea. The neuro dismissed you, no cause for concern.

Thank you for the reply. I sincerely appreciate it. What she was worried about was that I had asymmetrical brisk reflexes in Jan (not today), which is apparently a worrying sign. She is sending me for an EMG, but more to confirm a diagnosis of cervical radiculopathy - she did tell me she did not think it was ALS.

I'm assuming I can be calm, because ALS is progression, thus my abnormal reflexes would be more than just that by now, AND they would likely still be there after 6 mos.

I have signed up with a psychiatrist as well; my EMG is not for a few weeks.

Good! Psychiatrist should help a lot

curious do u all think 10 months is enough time to know if you have such a disease or not? Ive been in fear for 10 months now, but no weakness or atrophy that I notice. Just twitching and spasming. Shouldn't one have a good answer by the 10th month?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information