Thread: CBD oil and celexa

CBD oil and celexa

Are there any known interactions between celexa and CBD oil. I am on 40mg Celexa and considering taking Charlottes Web Hemp Oil (no THC).

Re: CBD oil and celexa

Quote Originally Posted by Scotttt View Post
    Are there any known interactions between celexa and CBD oil. I am on 40mg Celexa and considering taking Charlottes Web Hemp Oil (no THC).
    Citalopram is metabolized by 3 liver enzymes, CYP2C19 and CYP3A4 are the main metabolizers, with CYP2D6 playing a secondary role. Cannabinoid (CBD) inhibits all 3 of these enzymes so may significantly raise citalopram plasma levels. Given you're taking the maximum recommended dose, this is probably not a good thing. This FDA citalopram labelling change explains the potential problem with slow CPY2C19 metabolizing of citalopram.

Are there other SSRIs that may be safer with CBD or should I choose one or the other?

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Or could i lower my dose? I can't really tell a difference between 20mg and 40mg

Are there other SSRIs that may be safer with CBD or should I choose one or the other?
    Most SSRIs are metabolized at least partly by one of the 3 liver enzymes.

Or could i lower my dose? I can't really tell a difference between 20mg and 40mg
    Are you wanting to try CBD because citalopram is ineffective even at 40mg? If so, there is no point in taking it assuming you've given it time to work.

Whether CBD will be I can't say. It seems to work for some, but others have reported increased anxiety. That may, or may not have been because what they took contained some THC which is known to cause the same hippocampal atrophy as chronic stress (and alcohol).

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Most SSRIs are metabolized at least partly by one of the 3 liver enzymes.

Are you wanting to try CBD because citalopram is ineffective even at 40mg? If so, there is no point in taking it assuming you've given it time to work.

Whether CBD will be I can't say. It seems to work for some, but others have reported increased anxiety. That may, or may not have been because what they took contained some THC which is known to cause the same hippocampal atrophy as chronic stress (and alcohol).
    The THC level will need to be below a % or it will be classed as cannabis instead. But from what I understand of it, finding a quality manufacturer is very important as some are little more than basic hemp oils with a low CBD content. And some call it hemp oil when it's really CBD oil as hemp oil has always been legal.

So, it could even be a lack of CBD or extra added ingredients?

Maybe as the drug trials progress we will know more? One UK company is working on CBD oil products.

Do you have any information on the liver enzyme inhibition? I have some but it is very hard to find information specific to certain products. Grapefruit juice is easy enough to find, Piperine is harder and Curcumin hard too. Obviously we already eat some of these so I'm open to Piperine being less impacting and probably the same with Curcumin but it's hard to say.

The Celexa is working fairly well, I have been on it about 4 months. I would like to avoid taking it long term (5+years).

I am interested in CBD oil because of its possibility as an alternative to Celexa, but also its potential for general health and well being.

I was looking at CW CBD oil, which is a very reputable brand.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    So, it could even be a lack of CBD or extra added ingredients?
    Yes, ir's possible, even probable. The supplements industry has very little oversight, both in the main source of the ingredients, China, or at the compounding level. It is only a little more regulated than the snake-oil sprunkers of the Old West were.

Do you have any information on the liver enzyme inhibition?
    There are quite a few studies. CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 inhibition has been known about for quite a while, but that of CYP2C19 is relative recent. One cautionary note is this research is based on high grade CBD. What affect the stuff being sold over the counter may have is anyone's guess.

Grapefruit juice is easy enough to find, Piperine is harder and Curcumin hard too. Obviously we already eat some of these so I'm open to Piperine being less impacting and probably the same with Curcumin but it's hard to say.
    I did a lot of research on curcumin a few years ago as a potential anti cancer supplement, but there more I looked into it the more I became convinced it does not much. It's bio availability is extremely low and I wasn't convinced by the claims piperine boosted it by about 2,000%. Twenty times almost nothing is still almost nothing. Curcumin nanoparticles and analogues seem to get around this limitation, but they'll probably only be found on chemists' shelves, not your local health food shop.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

he Celexa is working fairly well, I have been on it about 4 months. I would like to avoid taking it long term (5+years).
    Why? There's little evidence that long-term SSRI use does any harm, and it might actually be beneficial. SSRIs are mild anticoagulants which can reduce the risk of heart attack and ischemic stroke (though they may increase risks for the much less common hemorrhagic stroke a little), may help the immune system fight some cancers, and could be protective against Alzheimer's (study)and other dementias.

Thanks for the wealth of info.

My final question:

I started on 20mg and then moved up to 40 per my doctors recommendations. I can't tell much difference. Can I move back to 20 without withdrawal side effects?

Is there any benefit to being on 40 if there is no noticeable difference between 20?

Thanks again for all the help

Can I move back to 20 without withdrawal side effects?
    Probably not, though not everyone experiences severe withdrawal. I suggest you cut it back by 5mg at a time every couple of weeks. But you really should discuss this with your doctor first.

Is there any benefit to being on 40 if there is no noticeable difference between 20?
    No. While I think it's better to take a little more of an antidepressant than not enough, if you were doing well at 20mg then taking more is probably pointless.

That said, are you sure you really were doing just as well at the lower dose? Time, stress and antidepressants at the beginning can influence our recollection of the past.

Thread Information