Thread: Fear of going on holiday believe it or not!

Unhappy Fear of going on holiday believe it or not!

Hi guys. Ok so having flown all over the world as a child/young adult I am now 32 and have, for some unknown reason, developed an intense fear of flying. I have read in depth about the 'theory' of flight so get that my fear is irrational but I still feel sick to the stomach when I think about having to get on a plane. My problem is however that I have family that live aboard - Cyprus to be exact - and they are wanting me to fly over to see them. I am the only member of the family who hasn't yet been over. Anyway I've discussed my fears with my doctor (who is already aware of my anxiety having diagnosed me with GAD approx 2 years ago. He has prescribed me with some diazepam for the flight which makes me feel a tiny bit better however as the 'holiday' draws closer I've found that as I 'deal' with one fear, or set of irrational thoughts, a new one develops. Hence now I am finding myself not only being afraid of the flight but of being in the airport, of the car journey from the airport to the hotel and of even spending a week there given that geographically the country is so close to Syria under the current political circumstances. I have tried rationalising with myself and telling myself that I am at just as much risk at home as anywhere but for some silly reason my mind seems to feel so much safer here. Doesn't help that I have zero desire to go, or travel anywhere really - I'd be more than happy to simply take vacations within the UK but unfortunately this is not enough for my husband who so deserves a 'proper' holiday. Just have this awful feeling that something terrible is going to happen and I can't shake it off. The thought of anything happening to my children TERRIFIES me. Don't know what to do really. Have got to try and be brave for the sake of my family, including my children who I do not want to pick up on my fear. Anyone ever felt similar? Been to Cyprus maybe? Sorry for the long post - everyone around me just laughs and says 'you'll be fine' which doesn't help so thought better to communicate with some like minded people who may actually have experienced the sorts of emotion I am feeling. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Re: Fear of going on holiday believe it or not!

Hi Mama, I've had anxiety for a long time now and despite flying all over the world when I was younger I hadn't flown since my anxiety started. I put it off, my kids missed out on so many holidays! But this year I did it!! I flew to Spain for an amazing family holiday! I found that the build up to the flight was the worst but as soon as I got to the airport I was only excited! I know it's different for everyone but that's just how I felt. I had a couple of drinks at the airport and was totally fine! I found that before the holiday my anxiety was high because I was dreading the flight, but with the flight back I knew I could do it so had no anxiety at all about it!! As I said the build up is the worst bit by far! but now I've already booked up my next holiday to Spain in September!

Thanks for your reply Bekzie! Well done you! I am hoping that the build up is going to prove worse than the actual flight as you're not the only one to have mentioned that to me. Fingers crossed anyway. Wish we were just going to Spain or somewhere closer to home...cursing my father for choosing to live near the Middle East lol. I'm sure it is a lovely place, it's position just makes me nervous is all with everything you read in the media. Anxiety sucks eh!

Hi Mama
    well I can certainly relate! I've had a 'friend' tell me not to be silly for being anxious a holiday is a nice thing. Some people just don't understand :(
    I've actually been to Cyprus, Paphos, twice on holiday and in between the anxiety attacks had a lovely time there.
    Like you say rationalising doesn't help totally but sometimes I find writing out my anxieties then a more positive answer to that sometimes help. I'll write the positive statements on a piece of card and continue to read them throughout the journey not just in response to an anxious wave but in preparation for it.
    I hope it's not too bad and you manage to have more fun and joy than anxiety.
    XXX

Thread Information