Thread: Strange day :-)

Strange day :-)

Hi,

I have had a very peculiar day. Started with me feeling really anxious as ever this morning and almost felt like back to square one.

Anyway, went to the docs to discuss perhaps trying beta blockers but he advised against it and we had a good chat about things. Basically, he was wary that even though he didn't doubt that they would calm my anxiety, he thought the beta blockers may actually worsen my depression and also he was aware that I may use them to do the hard work if you like, as opposed to trying to learn techniques to calm my anxiety naturally.

I ended up in tears in the surgery which I didn't expect (like I say felt like back to square one as that was how I was the first time I went to see him) but he was very nice and in the end he said I just needed someone to say to me that I was doing well and had achieved so much, but unfortunately the down side of that as he put it was the "higher you climb out of the bad situation, the further it seems like there is to fall" - which sums up exactly how I felt. He advised me to try and focus on the positive.

We agreed not to try the beta blockers and to go back and see him again in a month (or sooner if I felt I wanted to) to discuss things.

From feeling thoroughly miserable after my appt the fog suddenly felt like it was lifting at lunchtime. Not sure if it was just from talking to my doc, or the fact that it's hormone related (my period started yesterday but really got going this morning ifykwim!) but it really felt like a weight had been taken off me.

Going to get some vitamin B6 on the way home to see if that helps with the hormones but fingers crossed I am coming out of this one.

On the happy side, my MIL took my son (he is nearly 3) to see Santa today and he came on the phone to me saying "I was very excited!" and he sounded so chuffed.

Thanks for all your support guys. Hope you are all well.

Take Care

:-)

Hi Mell1988

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and more positive. I'm sure talking to your doctor helped, sometimes we just need someone to reassure us.

I know the feeling of worrying that the more progress you make there is further to fall. I feel like that when I'm having a bad patch. We don't actually ever go back to square one though because we have made too much progress to do that.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

hi there Mell,

It is normal to be very emotional when suffering from anxiety. This explains why you have felt both down and up today. It is also very helpful speaking to someone as it makes us feel much better. I hope that you can stay positive!!

Sarah

If you haven't got your Vit B yet make it a B complex rather than just B6.

What you're describing is very common- The hormone cycle really does play a huge part. Both at ovulation and at period time.

What techniques do you use currently to calm yourself ?

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Mell

I think it sometimes help just to talk to someone that you trust and believe in and we all trust the doc don't we.

Sometimes all it needs is someone to tell us that we are ok and that is enough.

The vitamin B will help to boost you up a bit so let us know how that goes.

How lovely for you son - bet you were well pleased with that.

I can't believe they have Santa in the stores already lol.

Nicola

Hi,

Thanks for all the supportive comments - they have really helped.

Meg - thanks for the tip on the vitamins. I had already bought them but luckily I got a Vitamin B complex so I'm pleased that you recommended that.

Fingers crossed that they will kick in by next month !

I have had a good weekend, certainly alot better than I imagined it would have been the way I was feeling on Friday.

Really pleased now that the doc didn't prescribe the beta-blockers as no doubt I would have got them straight away and taken one, then all of a sudden I would have been feeling better and would have assumed it was the tablets that had done that.

I need to work on my relaxation techniques tho - so far I've really only been doing breathing exercises and repeating various sentences to myself trying to remind myself that is' just a phase and I can get through it.

Must admit though that when my anxiety is at its worst I tend to forget the techniques which is daft as I probably need them the most !

Take Care All
    xxx

PS. I know - Santa already !! Tesco's have had christmas decorations in for about a month !!! (just as well I enjoy Christmas!)

Good stuff Mel .

Well done for getting yourself out of it ..

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Glad to hear you're feeling better Mell.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Sounds perfectly normal day to me. You sound like you're doing fantastic.

And I switced to taking extra vits last month for hormones, and they seem to have helped. I haven't had as much pain either.

Hiya Mel

Glad to hear that your chat to the doc seems to have helped - don't worry, I end up in tears every time I go about my anxiety and in the past when I had depression too - I guess they're used to it!

You are doing really, really well so keep your chin up and stay positive. I've been taking a vit B complex for a few months now and I swear its helping!

Really please your son had a great trip to Santa too and that he cheered you up

Best wishes, Jo xxx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Thread Information