Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new here - looking for help for my wife

new here - looking for help for my wife

Hi

I am looking for help for my wife who has suffered a series of panic attacks and episodes of anxiety. The most common trigger is driving on motorways, but other situations can trigger the anxiety in particular, and she is very uncomfortable with any form of transport which is "trapping" eg an express train (although she's fine with fast dual carriageways). She takes escitalopram (which seems to have little effect) and has had one session of thought field therapy which seems to have been unsuccessful.

There is a certain amount of tension in our household over the amount of motorway avoidance we now go in for. I and the kids would like my wife to try some more therapy - perhaps a different kind - rather than carry on taking the drug and avoiding the problem. My wife is willing in principle, but wants to talk to someone - preferably another woman - who has had a successful experience with CBT, NLP or some other therapy.

Can anyone help?

thanks

David

Re: new here - looking for help for my wife

Hi David, welcome!

Can't comment on the CBT I'm afraid but I took Citalopram for a while and found it very helpful when coupled with counselling - I'd be happy to chat to your wife if you think it would be beneficial to her. PM me if that's the case.

You'll find plenty of help and support here for partners as well as sufferers.

I'm sure it won't be long before someone replies who has had experience of the therapy your wife is contemplating.

Hi David and Your wife will get lots of advise and support here.Lots of people in the same situation and she wont feel so alone with her fears.Its great that you have come here to help her and that you support her.
    Im on citalopram and its helped me,but it doesnt work for everyone.It helped me with depression not my anxiety.

Hi David,

A big warm welcome to both you and your wife. xx

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"

Hi and

Although I'm male (well I was the last time I looked ) I am currently taking Citalopram and have recently finished a course of CBT. If you want to PM me feel free and I'll help all I can.

NMP is a great site for both sufferers and their families, you'll soon get lots of advice which coupled with professional help will soon get you back on the road to recovery.

Take care,

hi and welcome to the site, you will get lots of good advice here and hope your wife comes on for a visit and can see she is not alone and we are here to help. take kare xxxx

minnie xxxx

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

Hi David

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help to your wife.

Get her to have a read of the website pages or print some off for her.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi David

I was also very very scared of being on the motorway because of a feeling of being trapped. I now have this problem licked. I did it without meds and without professional help so tell your wife that it can be done.

I basically got my partner to take me on the motorway firstly for small stretches which got progressively longer and longer. This is what a professional would get your wife to do anyway I believe.

It is very frightening when you first start attempting this so it will be for your wife. To be honest I was in tears and in a right state at first but just had to push myself through the pain barrier so to speak. I went on the motorway between twice and four times a week without fail.

Last November I went from Liverpool to Birmingham which was a major achievement for me and without any trouble at all. Don't get me wrong, I've had panic attacks since I was a kid which is 30+years so I know the answer is to just do it!!

Lexxie

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    (Herm Albright)

thanks for all the kind replies, and also the people who have pm'd me with helpful and supportive suggestions.

We both think the answer has to involve some sort of graduated re-exposure, as Lexxie describes. But first my wife needs to learn some techniques to deflect the panic, otherwise the risk of an attack is too high. A couple of people have mentioned Claire Weekes and I will look into her techniques.

Now we are off on holiday for a week - by plane...

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information