Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Registrations temporarily suspended

Re: Registrations temporarily suspended

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    That is exactly what we have been trying to do for the last hour (ish) hence why your post was accidentally moderated

The joys of google translate

I did wonder as I know you've had to do it before for certain things.

Can you get him from the . Com bit in the thread title? The site name changes but his spacing seems to be the same? (if you've got a quota on how much you can filter, feel free to let the Russian brides through ...but you can keep the Ugg boots! )

Google Translate has worked for me on posts that size but I was having trouble with this one.

That is exactly what we have been trying to do for the last hour (ish) hence why your post was accidentally moderated

The joys of google translate
    That's what I am saying Venus you are working so hard I would personally be willing to help you, Have think about setting up Spam Busters on here a few trusted members could be picked to help deal with this influx of spamming on here it's basically done via the red triangle it gives certain members the power to not only report the spammer which is already in place but allows the spam busters (on here) once reported to admin auto delete of the post in question it just a thought run this by Alex as I think anything extra that will help you guys in this fight again this Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Admin privileges being dished out unless there is no other way. It's up to them and I support them in whatever they choose but I'm wary given some of the disputes on here. There have been mistakes about who are spammers, made them myself.

Turning on the registrations when Admin are around is a good idea.

Have you also thought of trying to capture his threads based on keywords? You've just caught mine about him. This way couldn't you redirect them to a place we can't see them so he can spam to his heart's content with no impact on the forum and you don't need to be watching as much?
    Sure I can understand this Terry just wondering if any other filters could be used against this prolific spammer if indeed it's the same one? One thing to look for is the laungauge the messages are written in as I am sure new members wouldn't use their native laungauge would they? Hmm Key words this depends on the words them selves and would be quite tricky to distinguish between a spammer an a genuine poster. Do we know where roughly what country they originate from? Could be using a VPN too! Cheers

I have added a couple of words (in korean) to the moderated list in the hope this stops some as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Spambusters is a good idea under the right circumstances. But this is a rare occurence. So, Admin have to think about training, supervising, advertising & reallocating as people leave, shifts, etc. And they need them most when they are not around which means American, Canadian & Australian/NZ members mostly.

It's all extra work for them. They may be volunteers but it's still a time commitment and they all work as far as I know their time is more precious to them than many of us.

Once the keywords are in place, it's just a hassle deleting members and their mess but they have the situation controlled away from the forum. They've had to capture certain words before e.g. suicide...and Lord Voldermort of course

I think they had one of these a while back, it's just this one is more persistent. If so, that's two. Is it worth extending roles that have to be managed for that?

If Admin need help for the rest of the work they do, I'm sure they will approach people they believe suitable as they have before when Admin's left.

We're all on the lookout and respond as soon as we can. It's tough fighting against bots which can find ways around registration management tools so easily.

Still, we humans will prevail!

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Registrations are being left on tonight to see what happens..... keep your fingers crossed folks!

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Registrations are being left on tonight to see what happens..... keep your fingers crossed folks!

$!^^"*$$&%"$::''[[#;=;.;---%^¬````+_=-#//////'#;;;:;[[]¬=^>.;[-'./;$*(

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    $!^^"*$$&%"$::''[[#;=;.;---%^¬````+_=-#//////'#;;;:;[[]¬=^>.;[-'./;$*(

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Heeee'sssss baaaacccckkkk...and he's baaaddddd!!!

Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 08-08-17 at 05:15.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Spambusters is a good idea under the right circumstances. But this is a rare occurence. So, Admin have to think about training, supervising, advertising & reallocating as people leave, shifts, etc. And they need them most when they are not around which means American, Canadian & Australian/NZ members mostly.

It's all extra work for them. They may be volunteers but it's still a time commitment and they all work as far as I know their time is more precious to them than many of us.

Once the keywords are in place, it's just a hassle deleting members and their mess but they have the situation controlled away from the forum. They've had to capture certain words before e.g. suicide...and Lord Voldermort of course

I think they had one of these a while back, it's just this one is more persistent. If so, that's two. Is it worth extending roles that have to be managed for that?

If Admin need help for the rest of the work they do, I'm sure they will approach people they believe suitable as they have before when Admin's left.
    Sure it is and understand what you are saying and I was only trying to help The other thing is rather than alert Admin etc that the bots are on certain part of the forum report it via the red triangle next to a bot(s) post think that may help. And may be have a tool in place that Admin could use that would delete all posts by the bot(s) It would save a lot of time instead of trawling through many posts Cheers

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Out of interest I have checked a couple of members that say in their profiles Banned but they are online? While they cant post but you actually don't need to be online to view posts so that means they have managed to log on to NMP I will gladly pm Nic or Admin about this if it's worth letting them know just in case they do manage to post again? Not saying these are bots though! Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information