Thread: Sexual side effects - think I'm going to quit (warning TMI)

Sexual side effects - think I'm going to quit (warning TMI)

I was on prozac twice in the past and I never noticed any sexual side effects whatsoever. After four days on citalopram I have zero sexual sensation. Absolutely zero! I think this is a deal breaker for me. I'm going to call my doctor and I think ask to go back on prozac, although now of course I'm worried that the damage is permanent, because like a fool, I googled!

Re: Sexual side effects - think I'm going to quit (warning TMI)

Quote Originally Posted by cattia View Post
    After four days on citalopram I have zero sexual sensation. Absolutely zero! I think this is a deal breaker for me.
    While almost all antidepressants can cause sexual dysfunction, Prozac included, what affect they have in the first few days and weeks is not a reliable guide to their long term impact.

although now of course I'm worried that the damage is permanent, because like a fool, I googled!
    There is little evidence antidepressants permanently inhibit the libido. Anxiety/depression/stress are the more likely cause of ongoing problems.

Incidentally, there are ways of minimising antidepressant induced sexual dysfunction.

Thanks, I'm just not sure what to do now. I don't want this to be a long term problem and I have no way of knowing whether it will improve or not. My doctor wants me to try sertraline. I don't want to hop from one med to another never giving them a chance to work.

Quote Originally Posted by cattia View Post
    My doctor wants me to try sertraline. I don't want to hop from one med to another never giving them a chance to work.
    You're giving yourself sage advice, imho.

I'm curious why sertraline is being proposed instead of simply going back to Prozac. For that matter, why citalopram this time? Did Prozac not work that well the last time?

Prozac had horrible side effects for the first two weeks both times I took it, but after that it was great for me. I think my Dr feels it's a old drug and that a newer one would work better for anxiety. But on the other hand, at least it's tired and tested for me, although I know they sometimes don't work as well if you've taken them a lot of times. I just wonder whether adding sertraline into the mix is going to cause me additional problems, possibly with no real benefit. I'm at the point where I'm not sure going med free for much longer will work for me. I feel miserable with obsessive anxiety and I'm not enjoying life much.

Thread Information