Thread: Asthma

Post Asthma

Hi Guys, just found out that my Partner has Asthma, any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
    Dave

Re: Asthma

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you partner has been diagnosed with asthma. I have it too but it can usally be easily managed these days with the right medications.
    Is there any specific advice you wanted?
    I take two inhalers a day and monitor my peak flow to keep an eye on how I am. The most important thing is to take whatever medication is prescribed and keep any appointments for check ups to monitor it. Obviously if allergies trigger the asthma it's a good idea to sort those out too and try and minimise exposure to anything that triggers it.

This website may be helpful to you both too:

http://www.asthma.org.uk/

Lisa

Hi Dave

Sorry to hear your news, but it needn't be disturbing mate

My daughter was diagnosed aged 10 with asthma and, as Lisa says, with proper medication and regular peak-flow checks it shouldn't disrupt you or your partner's life to any great degree.

I am also mildy asthmatic. I don't need a preventor inhaler, which is usually Salbutomol but just a reliever, usually Ventolin, now and again. I haven't had to use it for a long while.

Most, but not all, asthma is caused by an allergy to the droppings of the common house dust mite - and plenty live in GG's house!!

Physical exertion, extreme heat and stress can also be contributory factors. And lately, pollution has made the headlines.
    I'm a non-smoker myself and I've found that cigarette smoke is one of my major triggers. Thankfully come July 1st, this shouldn't be a problem for many asthma sufferers in this country!

Whatever you do, do not treat it as the bringer of the end of life as you know it!

When it is brought under control, and monitored, life can carry on much as you'd want it to.

Hope this helps a little bit, try not to worry too much eh?

GG x

Last edited by groovygranny; 25-05-07 at 00:12.

Another asthma sufferer here; but sufferer certainly is not the right word. As long as you have control over it, it is very easy to live with. I am very active and also have seasonal allergies that trigger my asthma, and I have to monitor my asthma daily. I don't think you should worry too much. And remember...knowledge IS power!

Thread Information