Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety over credit card theft

Anxiety over credit card theft

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I really would like to get others opinions on this topic.

On April 8, of this year, I came home from work and checked my email and it said that my transaction at Walmart for $449 was denied due to insufficient funds. However, I never made any purchase of any kind at Walmart - which means someone stole my credit card number. I immediately called the credit card company and informed them of it. The gentleman informed me that someone must have compromised my credit card account. So, he canceled the card and changed the number on the account.

So, I got the new card in the mail, but, I ended up closing that card along with the other one on the account because I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. Now, I'm checking my checking account, one other credit card account etc. like crazy mad because of this. And today, I checked my credit score and it dropped 18 points, even though I didn't see anything different.

But, during this whole time, I'm constantly on edge, and it's making me absolutely miserable. Just because some idiot wanted to take something of mine. I don't know what else to do - it's making me just feel terrible. What makes me most upset is that I found this out for myself. If I never would've checked my email, I wouldn't have seen it. But, it also worries me that it was sent to my email address. I mean, it was attached to the account, but still.

Re: Anxiety over credit card theft

The financial sector take security very seriously and governments are usually tight in ensuring regulation with bodies set up to regulate the industry. These companies are likely to have some of the best online encryption because hackers can wreak havoc if they get in. Anyone hacking companies like this means we get national press coverage over here.

And systems are so large they tend to be linked but split for differing functions. And anyone committing a fraud wouldn't want you to know, they would rather you not so they can fleece your account on the quiet.

Did you find it out for yourself? Didn't your credit card company flag a dodgy transaction that their anti fraud measures picked up? You will have that same protection with all these companies as regulation normally sets minimum standards to protect consumers from crime.

I'm sorry it has upset you. I've had it happen to me too and it's an unpleasant experience just as any crime is. With anxiety, we are already sensitive to risk management and these things just spark it more.

Time may resolve this as you forget about it. But if not, cutting down those checks is very important as it will only feed your anxiety. Set checks at sensible intervals and trust in the protection you pay that provider for or you regulation enforces on them.

Hi there,

I had a similar anxiety when I was trying to buy a house. I would monitor my credit daily and I'd feel depressed when it went down. Typically it will tell you why it has gone down, it should show you the account balances so that should help ease your worries about someone stealing your identity. You can also setup email alerts. Setup a credit karma account if you haven't yet. It's secure and free and keeps me at ease.

creditkarma.com

Hope this helps!
    And the world will be as one

Yes Terry, I did find this out myself. I received an email saying my transaction was denied due to insufficient funds. I even looked on my transaction history for my account, and there was no transaction there. However, when I called, the person who was helping me with my card said they saw the Walmart transaction. And that's when he canceled the card/account and mailed me a new card with a new number.

So, in turn, I just canceled that card, and the other one that I had with that card company. So now, I just have one and a debit card. I mean, I have a credit check with the account from the credit card company where I closed the cards. I'm still paying them off, but I still am able to see everything, like what my score is, how much I owe, etc. the whole nine yards.

But, this has honestly made me just a basket case and I wish I would just have never gotten credit cards in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou93 View Post
    Yes Terry, I did find this out myself. I received an email saying my transaction was denied due to insufficient funds. I even looked on my transaction history for my account, and there was no transaction there. However, when I called, the person who was helping me with my card said they saw the Walmart transaction. And that's when he canceled the card/account and mailed me a new card with a new number.
    I think you misunderstand, they spotted a dodgy attempt and you were requested to confirm it. They spotted it. They protected you. No money was taken because of their anti fraud security.

Your role was confirming their suspicions.

Oh I see, I thought you meant like an alert like a flag or something. But, I'm on edge even more since my score dropped 18 points, and I looked at everything, the whole nine yards, but I don't know why it would drop. I'm worried that someone opened a card or something, but that wasn't there, like no inquiries (that I saw).

I asked my sister to check her score and she said her score dopped from last week to this week too. I wonder if it happened to other people too.

I'm not sure but I would suggest looking to the finance sites that explain the scoring as it should hopefully tell you why it fluctuates. Any payments going through?

Not trying to worry any one but I simply don't trust online banking or buying things on line it's big business now a days and the fraudsters are having a field day on this. For me what I do if I see something I like make a note on a piece of paper call the company up on my phone and buy it over the phone most companies will accept this method . I don't have any DC details on any site now, haven't done for years even my bank when I speak to them keep trying to convert me to online banking I keep saying no I mean if it was only a few people getting stung each year it may be worth the risk but as it stands for me it's not worth the risk even though after much hassle you may get your money back from your bank weeks later is it really worth the risk NO Thanks

To answer your question Terry, (if this is what you mean), my credit card payments are going through yes. I've seen other people have the same thing happen, where nothing changes and the score suddenly drops - I guess since I've had this fiasco happen to me, I worry so much more than the average person does.

But, I honestly was considering just closing my other credit card because I really don't want to deal with that one either. I just don't know how on Earth someone was able to get my credit card number, when I almost never used that particular card number online.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou93 View Post
    To answer your question Terry, (if this is what you mean), my credit card payments are going through yes. I've seen other people have the same thing happen, where nothing changes and the score suddenly drops - I guess since I've had this fiasco happen to me, I worry so much more than the average person does.

But, I honestly was considering just closing my other credit card because I really don't want to deal with that one either. I just don't know how on Earth someone was able to get my credit card number, when I almost never used that particular card number online.
    Hi Caribou You only need to have used it only say once ( less of a risk though) some one could have easily been phising at the time and bang. Can I ask what security do you have on your pc/Lap top etc and is it up to date? It's like with https:// sites they are generally more secure than a http:// address but still hackable It's like Amazon credit/debit card details are stored on the site again there is no way I would want my payment details stored there or on any other site no way
    I always keep up to speed with docs on internet security and also watch Watchdog which had a excellent bit on bank security it's called spoofing where you might get a genuine txt message from you bank then some one hacks in to your phone and puts another txt message straight after the original message giving you a one time passcode it says it's from your bank and has the ID of the bank, but it's not, you confirm the one time pass code and bang your account is empty your bank wont refund the money why cause you were negligent you may ask why I wasn't being negligent how could you know, you cant really the bank was Santander the only bank that uses this method to confirm one time passcodes it's not a safe way to do it please be careful. I would seriously cancel this other CC just my view but I take interent security very seriously Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information