Thread: Worried about lymphoma

Worried about lymphoma

Hi!

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I'm quite scared that I have lympoma right now.
    Some facts: 18 years old, 180cm tall, 70kg, male, never did drugs, never smoked, I barely drink (The most I ever drunk should be about 2 beers in an evening, or the equivalent in other alcohols.), had mononucleosis for a year when I was 12.

Basically, what is making me worried is some kind of dull ache in the top left part of each side of my head (If you take both sides of the head, and take the ear as the middle of four quadrants, the top left quadrant is where the pain is located). I've first felt it when landing in a plane. I sometimes get some pressure & pain on my ears during a landing, which is completely normal, but two weeks ago it felt really painful and uncomfortable in that area - Not the ears. Didn't even have a lot of pressure on my ears.
    Then, a week ago, I drunk one beer at a party, and not long after I felt a very similar pain the the same area. When palpating the area, it also felt as if it was quite swollen - As if there was a bone going from my ears to the top-behind side of head on both sides. It wasn't as if touching the area would increase the pain or anything, but there just was this dull aching in that area.
    After sleeping one night, the pain and swelling nearly went away (It took a few more days for the pain to completely subside, and I can't say a 100% how swollen it really was - I've never palpated my head in that area when it didn't hurt, so I don't really "remember" it's "normal shape".). Yesterday, I once again drank a tiny bit of alcohol (Not more than 1cl of beer), and about 20 minutes later, I got the same pain in the same area once again. Since this kind of worried me I tried to look it up online, and found multiple websites saying that "alcohol pain" is a rare symptom, but one that is pretty decisive of lymphoma... Which is why I am so worried.
    The area there still hurts a bit right now, but here are the other symptoms, if I were to take wikipedia and other websites as a source:
    - Lymph nodes swollen: I honestly don't know if that area contains a lymph node or not, but there are lymph nodes that are called retroauriculares that are just right below that area. And as I said, it felt as if that area was swollen.
    - Itchy skin: No.
    - Night sweat: Yes - Albeit that could be because I live in southern France and it currently is very hot.
    - Weight loss: No.
    - Pain following alcohol consumption: Well, apparently, yes - Which is what worries me the most.
    - Back pain: Not really. I do have a bit of back pain, but I've had that since a long time and it's probably just due to the fact that I barely did any sports during puberty.
    - Something about cyclical fever and EppsteinBarr: I don't know about the fever, but I've had had the Epstein-Barr virus for a year when I was twelve (Mononucleosis).
    - Feeling tired, uncomfortable, dizzy, ... : Well, yes, but I'm not sure whether that's just due to me being anxious right now...

In short, that pain in the back of my head, coupled with what I read on multiple websites and other "symptoms" is making me really, really, really worried right now. Is there anything I can do to be certain that I'm healthy without having to run big scans at the hospital?

Thank you very much.

Re: Worried about lymphoma

Blood cancers believe it or not are pretty rare. I seriously doubt you have it but if your worried make an appt to see your Dr.

Try not to Google your symptoms, it seriously is one of the worse things a person with anxiety can do. It would give anyone anxiety as literally every symptom you Google either leads to cancer or some other serious illness.

Thank you for your answer.

Yeah, I also read that it is extremely rare, but I've mostly been worried because I couldn't find anything else in regards to that pain in my head after taking a few sips of alcohol... And not even that, but the fact that most sites seemed to describe it as a "decisive" symptom made me worry the most...

I thought about making an appointment with my Doctor, but I'd really prefer to avoid doing expensive scans... Which is why I hoped that there was a simple method to "check" for it, or a better, more reasonable, and less worrisome reason for the pain (Which is why I created this post).

They usually swell the size of a golf ball if you have lymphoma everyone has the little swollen lymph nodes which just fight off every day infections.

Okay, the swelling is definitely not the size of a golf ball, so that's good.

I also went to my doctor to ask him about that weird pain (+ That lower back pain), but he pretty much just shrugged it off without giving any explanation for it, so that didn't quite re-assure me... I mean, the pain I'm feeling is real, so there has to be a reason for it...

Ahh hi, I'm sorry you are stressing about this right now - I'm sure that if you actually do have a physical condition it does tend to create or worsen health anxiety.
    I am currently free of it for 6yrs - poorly at the moment with a raging sore throats which I'm slightly concerned will turn into sepsis ☺️So as you see it can always come back - but I'm ok it's only a minor worry, I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow.
    Anyway getting back to your fear of a serious condition - my mum unfortunately passed away as a result of non-hodgkins lymphoma in 1993 -aged 53 - and like others have said it's highly unlikely you have it, but that going to the GP could reassure you? But from my experience another equally serious condition will take its place - I found at the bottom of my health anxiety was fear of death, but that by experiencing it I wasn't able to live well. Eventually after suffering without taking medication I was pretty much forced to take an antidepressant due to being rock bottom and developing an addiction to Zimovane (Zoplicone, a benzo sleeping tablet)

I've been well now for 6 yrs and had another child that I'd dearly longed for but put off due to anxiety - I'm sure you can find something that works for you? Staying away from googling symptoms is a good place to start X

Thread Information