Thread: Back To Prozac-Scared And Stressed

Back To Prozac-Scared And Stressed

I had been on Prozac 22 years with a few relapses of Panic and Anxiety, went 7 years panic free until Mid-April when I had a massive relapse. 11 weeks ago they switched me to Celexa and had no response even after 5 weeks at the max. 40 mg. So they have decided to change me back to Prozac just as I'm about to start teaching next week. A very quick change over 4 days 20 mg celexa and 20 prozac, followed by just prozac for the rest of next week then up fo 40. Terrified of the start up side effects. Have been on klonopin through the summer and to help with the cross over. Need some advice and encouragement.

Re: Back To Prozac-Scared And Stressed

Hi there! I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. I'm not so concerned about the switch as I am about upping your dose to 40mg so fast. I was on paroxetine (seroxat) for 16 years and I literally changed overnight to fluoxetine. No tapering, nothing. There's a really knowledgeable guy on here panic_down_under who could probably give you a better insight on this. Hope he'll be around soon to answer!

Yes I a really scared to the rapid increase. He said I could stay at the 20 a little longer. So that's my plan. I hope to hear from others.

Ok that's a good thing. I would definitely stay at the 20 until you even out a bit.

Thanks again for your concern ElleEm I am wondering what your switch was like. I understand it's hard to quit paroxetine. Did you have bad discontinuation symptoms of bad start up symptoms from the Prozac? I am most concerned about going through this while having to begin teaching a new school year.

Mine was funny. I couldn't really tell the difference between the withdrawals and the fluox side effects! When you look at a list of both, they're pretty similar. So I'm guessing it'll be the same with Celexa, although I don't think it's as rough as coming off Paxil. You should be ok.

Well I hope you are doing better on the prozac. I just read some of your posting about switching and it sounds pretty tough.

Thread Information