Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Worried Even After Testicular Ultrasound

Still Worried Even After Testicular Ultrasound

A few days ago, while doing my first self-testicular exam (I had no idea I should be doing them!) I noticed what appeared to be a hard pea-sized nodule near the bottom rear of my right testicle. It didn't feel as if it was a *part* of the testicle but instead seemed to be attached to it via some connective mumbo jumbo. Being plagued with health anxiety, I immediately began to worry and assume the worst. I checked all over the internet, got myself worked up to the point of tears, and in short I had the worst few days of my life.

After a visit to my doctor (APRN), I was referred to a urologist for a secondary examination and an ultrasound. This referral was the absolute most terrifying part, as I had hoped that the doctor would immediately be able to qualm my fears, but of course this didn't happen. It took so much for me to even go in and see a doctor about it, and now I was being sent to have examinations?

I had the ultrasound yesterday morning, it was done by an ultrasound student being overseen by the normal person who does them, followed by a meeting with the urologist just an hour later. The promptness and speed was definitely the thing that set me off the most, as well as it being a student doing the test... I just knew at this point that it had to be cancer. There was no doubt in my mind.

The urologist opened the appointment immediately by saying that I in no way had testicular cancer. She said it was good that I did an examination, but that my testicles themselves looked completely normal and healthy and that both her and the radiologist agreed that there was no cause for concern. I was diagnosed with multiple spermatoceles in my right epididymis. I made sure to ask again, if she was 100% sure that it couldn't be cancer and she seemed confident.

Still, I left the office a bit worried. What if she missed something, in either the ultrasound or the examination. She is a urologist with over 14 years of experience and she showed absolutely no concern whatsoever about it being TC. Money is super tight, so getting a second opinion is only going to happen if it's absolutely necessary.

I didn't get a detailed report of my ultrasound, but my release papers say "spermatocele of epididymis, multiple - primary". That's the exact wording

They didn't do bloodwork or anything like that, and I asked the urologist multiple times if she was absolutely positive that it wasn't cancer. She didn't hesitate for a single second. I really don't have any logical reason to doubt the report, as even I thought that the hard little lump I felt wasn't actually on the testicle itself. I can't necessarily tell if it moves freely or not, due to the testicles themselves being slippery little devils and the fact that the epididymis is attached to them.

Im just worried that perhaps they missed something and I was misdiagnosed and cancer is running free through my body. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and over-concerned, though I noticed today that I can feel almost a strange sensation in my groin in the center and then to the same side as the testicle in question. Not down by the genital area itself, but closer to my waist. It's like a pressure or a gentle pulling sensation, it's really really hard to describe. I don't know if this is related or if it's nothing or what. I'm already barely able to afford life at this point.

Re: Still Worried Even After Testicular Ultrasound

Quote Originally Posted by TikPandora View Post
    What if
    There's your problem right there. For some people, anxiety really becomes the "what if?" disease. This is where your problem really lies. You're focused on the scary but remote possibilities. To be honest, an experienced urologist and radiographer missing testicular cancer (one of the easiest cancers to diagnose and, if caught early, treat) is borderline impossible. The chances are vanishingly unlikely. But the chances of you struggling with anxious thought that tells you something just might have gone wrong are rather high.

Ultimately, it's about what you do next. You didn't get a blood test because you don't need one. What will you do now? Will you treat the condition you do have?

Oh, and last year, I went to the GP with stabbing pains in my testicle and midriff area. I went for an exam and was told there was no sign of everything wrong. Wouldn't you know it - pain went away after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    There's your problem right there. For some people, anxiety really becomes the "what if?" disease. This is where your problem really lies. You're focused on the scary but remote possibilities. To be honest, an experienced urologist and radiographer missing testicular cancer (one of the easiest cancers to diagnose and, if caught early, treat) is borderline impossible. The chances are vanishingly unlikely. But the chances of you struggling with anxious thought that tells you something just might have gone wrong are rather high.

Ultimately, it's about what you do next. You didn't get a blood test because you don't need one. What will you do now? Will you treat the condition you do have?

Oh, and last year, I went to the GP with stabbing pains in my testicle and midriff area. I went for an exam and was told there was no sign of everything wrong. Wouldn't you know it - pain went away after that.
    ServerError, thank you for such a blunt and descriptive answer. No, really, I mean it. Every person I've voiced these concerns to has just told me not to worry without giving me reason to do so. Your comments about the fleeting and miniscule possibility of them missing something really has helped put me a bit at ease. It's probably best just to leave it alone and keep doing monthly examinations to see if it changes or enlarges or anything like that.

I will appreciate any more info or input on the subject, but this has helped quite a bit.

Given that you've been assured by a testicle expert that there's nothing wrong and everything is healthy (your own words), I wouldn't say you need to spend any more time focusing or monitoring this thing you've felt. Just keep checking your testicles every now and then, as every man should (although I'm bad at!). That's all you need to do.

The reassurance you've had from me probably won't last. Not being negative - that's just anxiety. There's a chance the "what ifs" will creep back in again. So you'll need to challenge those thoughts with logic, and if it becomes too difficult, get some help.

But yeah, you'll never get anything more reassuring than an appointment with an experienced urologist. You've had the best advice you'll ever get on this, and they don't let dangerously ill people just walk off into the sunset.

I should say as well that GPs will pretty much always send you for an ultrasound if you say you felt something, even if they don't feel anything. It's just not worth the risk. The only reason I didn't go beyond my GP was because I never actually felt anything, and neither could she. She was happy to diagnose my pain as psychosomatic.

A few days ago, while doing my first self-testicular exam (I had no idea I should be doing them!) I noticed what appeared to be a hard pea-sized nodule near the bottom rear of my right testicle. It didn't feel as if it was a *part* of the testicle but instead seemed to be attached to it via some connective mumbo jumbo. Being plagued with health anxiety, I immediately began to worry and assume the worst. I checked all over the internet, got myself worked up to the point of tears, and in short I had the worst few days of my life.

After a visit to my doctor (APRN), I was referred to a urologist for a secondary examination and an ultrasound. This referral was the absolute most terrifying part, as I had hoped that the doctor would immediately be able to qualm my fears, but of course this didn't happen. It took so much for me to even go in and see a doctor about it, and now I was being sent to have examinations?

I had the ultrasound yesterday morning, it was done by an ultrasound student being overseen by the normal person who does them, followed by a meeting with the urologist just an hour later. The promptness and speed was definitely the thing that set me off the most, as well as it being a student doing the test... I just knew at this point that it had to be cancer. There was no doubt in my mind.

The urologist opened the appointment immediately by saying that I in no way had testicular cancer. She said it was good that I did an examination, but that my testicles themselves looked completely normal and healthy and that both her and the radiologist agreed that there was no cause for concern. I was diagnosed with multiple spermatoceles in my right epididymis. I made sure to ask again, if she was 100% sure that it couldn't be cancer and she seemed confident.

Still, I left the office a bit worried. What if she missed something, in either the ultrasound or the examination. She is a urologist with over 14 years of experience and she showed absolutely no concern whatsoever about it being TC. Money is super tight, so getting a second opinion is only going to happen if it's absolutely necessary.

I didn't get a detailed report of my ultrasound, but my release papers say "spermatocele of epididymis, multiple - primary". That's the exact wording

They didn't do bloodwork or anything like that, and I asked the urologist multiple times if she was absolutely positive that it wasn't cancer. She didn't hesitate for a single second. I really don't have any logical reason to doubt the report, as even I thought that the hard little lump I felt wasn't actually on the testicle itself. I can't necessarily tell if it moves freely or not, due to the testicles themselves being slippery little devils and the fact that the epididymis is attached to them.

Im just worried that perhaps they missed something and I was misdiagnosed and cancer is running free through my body. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and over-concerned, though I noticed today that I can feel almost a strange sensation in my groin in the center and then to the same side as the testicle in question. Not down by the genital area itself, but closer to my waist. It's like a pressure or a gentle pulling sensation, it's really really hard to describe. I don't know if this is related or if it's nothing or what. I'm already barely able to afford life at this point.
    You're fine based on the work done by the medical professionals you consulted. About 2 years ago, I had some pain in my right testicle so I went into to see my doctor who in turn had me get an ultrasound which showed I had testicular microlithiasis. That freaked me out based on a study I read that showed some correlation between microlithiasis and testicular cancer. I did a surveillance ultrasound every year to check on things and was given an all clear. Finally, I decided to see a urologist who told me I shouldn't be afraid as there is no good evidence showing strong correlation and causation between testicular cancer and testicular microlithiasis. I was told I did not need to do the ultrasound but if I needed to then I should do it once every 2 years. Of the two of us, you have fewer reasons to be concerned. Take a deep breath and relax.
    Last edited by ODA_555; 11-08-17 at 19:02.

I should have came here first before wasting any time at any of the other places I have voiced my concerns. I was worried I would get a bunch of answers from people who have never been in my shoes, but it's not like that at all. Thank you all so much! I'm bookmarking this page.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

The "what it's" are the absolute worst. I was having a good day, but now 15 minutes before work I'm convinced that once more I'm going to die.

The two things I'm worried about the most are this new sensation of "pressure" or tugging in the muscles of my groin, and the fact that the lump I felt didn't seem to be in the head of the epididymis, isn't that the only place spermatocele can form?
    Last edited by TikPandora; 11-08-17 at 21:44.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what you're convinced of. The person qualified to say whether or not you have testicular cancer says you don't. That's what matters.

What's happened here is that you've had reassurance about that particular fear, and now you've latched onto this generic pain sensation in a slightly different area. Your anxiety is adapting to the new scenario. This is where you need to try and counter the fear with logic.

The fear ultimately comes from your amygalas (yes, other areas of the brain are involved too, but for the sake of simplicity...). The all-clear from the urologist hasn't filtered through to that primitive brain region. It's still firing because it still believes there's an existential threat to you. Ultimately, it's our coping skills and ability to rationalise that help us get control of this.

You're being misinformed by your primitive threat detection system. Unfortunately, it can take time to bring it back under control.

Honestly, I personally would go back to the doctor to talk about your anxiety and get some help with this.

I can't tell you what the sensation you're currently having is, but I'd bet the anxiety is a factor, just as mine was. It's possible you've been tense in that area due to what you've been worried about and now it's aching. But believe me, it's perfectly possible to trigger symptoms through thought and anxiety.

So, I just had a mental breakdown at work. I'm a cashier and I was literally in tears at the register. My manager made a single call to find a replacement and then didn't do anything else, and I had no option but to just walk out.

So, I just had a mental breakdown at work. I'm a cashier and I was literally in tears at the register. My manager made a single call to find a replacement and then didn't do anything else, and I had no option but to just walk out.
    You've had a traumatic couple of days, it's not uncommon for that stress to become overwhelming and trigger a type of delayed shock. However, what you've went through actually happens to a lot of men.

Testicular cancer is one of the most common types of cancer, and as the testicles have a tendency to feel a bit lumpy, it's actually quite the norm for men to be referred for ultrasound scanning.

I had one about 8 years ago, quite simply it was embarrassing more than traumatic, as the practitioner carrying out the exam was accompanied by a female about my age who was...ahem, very nice. I spent the whole exam telling my genitals that they better not even think about moving.

These exams are very common, and the ones that turn out anything nasty are actually incredibly rare. I understand how traumatic it was, but it's done now, and you have a perfectly clean bill of health. You'll probably take a bit of time to come down from all that emotion, but it will sink in eventually if you allow it to.

So, I should be confident in the diagnosis of the urologist? I will continue to do self-examinations from now on once a month. I actually have a therapist visit on Monday scheduled because of all of this, and we are going to begin working on finding some possible answers to my anxiety woes as well as getting me in to see a doctor who actually has patience with health anxiety.
    Last edited by TikPandora; 12-08-17 at 07:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information