Thread: Therapy yes or no

Therapy yes or no

I have tried therapy twice, I DONT GET IT . unless you have 1 main problem the therapist can home in on. THERAPISTS are human you may turn up one day and there not really focused on the task ahead ,so you dont get the full monty and you leave worse than you entered the session, MULTIPLE problems are often a mentally nuked persons problem and to home in on them all is virtually impossible. You can also get sucked into the notion that you cannot function without your therapist can
    cause you more problems, a lot of people fall in love with their therapist because there telling them their ultimate secrets they never tell their husband or wife. If you get 1 free on NHS then give it a try but never pay money or you will finish up paying the therapist mortgage every week for years. I had the choice of a therapist just 2 months ago, she was a young girl working for the NHS she came to my house to see if i was on the right planet for therapy . I NOTICED she had her trusty NHS Bible i call it on what not to say . she said Brian shall we go for it . I said NO because i dont want be manufactured by a therapists 1 hour a week session , this is my view i dont for 1 second think they dont help some people i am just not 1 of them

Re: Therapy yes or no

I have an issue with private counsellors who are paid to sit and listen to a client offload their problems and just offer tea and sympathy. If you're happy to pay someone to listen then fair enough but I wouldn't term it "therapy" in that it's a one way thing. There's no doubt that therapy is Big Business these days in the private sector and there are many people out there touting for business when they are not registered practitioners and have earned their "certificate" in a few hours at some dubious college.

Decent therapy can help many people who are prepared to really work at their issues and take on board constructive comments as to how to improve the quality of their lives. For others it has little effect due to life circumstances, personality or whatever. Certainly worth trying NHS therapy for a course of treatment but I'm not convinced about people who have private therapy for years on end with no obvious result other than a draining of finances.

You need to find a good CBT therapist one that offers tools to battle your thoughts. I don't know how NHS works as I'm in the United States.

I was had a great therapy and overcame my anxiety. It is not a magic pill, it takes work.

It can take time to find the right therapist. I have wasted good money on rubbish therapy years ago that achieved nothing.You have to have a connection and it works both ways.

However last year I hit the jackpot with a private therapist I found and had 12 months of psychotherapy with a very good (male) therapist. It was difficult, hard work but I stuck with it. I am not 'cured', I might never be 'cured', but I have a clearer and greater understanding of how I got here and can now challenge my thought patterns that are harmful.

I am in a better place than I was 2 years ago

I think it's crucial to be able to challenge negative thought patterns successfully and long term whether that's by being taught by a therapist to do so or by researching techniques yourself once you have the confidence and belief that you can help yourself.

Thread Information