Thread: Treatment

Treatment

Hi guys and gals, hope everyone is doing ok? I have a question for people who are fairly experienced in receiving treatment. I have had CBT and it whilst does help, I'm thinking of committing ting to long term private psychotherapy. Most therapists I can find are around £50 - £70 a session. Would I need to see them every week? That works out a lot of money, and whilst I could just about afford it, I would want to know that it is going to help me by a big margin. Just wondered what other people's experience with this form of treatment were like?

Thank you very much!

Re: Treatment

you seem very chirpy for some one who is thinking of chucking £70 a week at a therapist . i have had a go at it and even hypnotherapy that was a farse this lady put on a tape of the sea lapping against the shore with all the water splashing about i was busting for a wizz after 10 minutes what a load of balls and it cost me £50 i never went back, the other therapist were free but i still jacked them in . But that's me you may love it

Quote Originally Posted by braindead View Post
    you seem very chirpy for some one who is thinking of chucking £70 a week at a therapist . i have had a go at it and even hypnotherapy that was a farse this lady put on a tape of the sea lapping against the shore with all the water splashing about i was busting for a wizz after 10 minutes what a load of balls and it cost me £50 i never went back, the other therapist were free but i still jacked them in . But that's me you may love it
    Well I like to be happy! Like I said, CBT has helped me and I'm probably a fairly mild case compared to some. But that doesn't mean I don't have periods of uncontrollable worry sometimes over things that aren't likely to happen.

Thanks for your feedback on the therapy, I have also tried hypnotherapy in the past and didn't get on with it. You didn't find talking therapy helped then?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

The psychotherapy I had was fortnightly at first then weekly. I think weekly sessions are better in terms of continuity and effort you have to put in which will pay off long-term. Many people seem to be under impression that the therapist should do all the work and has power to "cure" or untangle years of accumulated baggage, which in my experience just isn't the case. However, I feel that long-term psychotherapy would benefit many who feel CBT just didn't help enough or cut it. Unfortunately, all these 'resources' have been cut back to the bone, so if you can afford to go private, I would highly recommend it.

Having said that, if you can wait, then getting your GP to refer you for psychotherapy/counselling might be worth a try. If you are willing to wait.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Well I like to be happy! Like I said, CBT has helped me and I'm probably a fairly mild case compared to some. But that doesn't mean I don't have periods of uncontrollable worry sometimes over things that aren't likely to happen.

Thanks for your feedback on the therapy, I have also tried hypnotherapy in the past and didn't get on with it. You didn't find talking therapy helped then?
    Not really , the NHS therapist was the same lady that did the CBT that was NHS group CBT:therapy that didnt work out for most has she and a nurse struggled with a group of 12 at a time. the other was a young girl NHS theropist who did everything to the NHS letter , not for me im affraid

Thread Information