Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me ...?

Is it just me ...?

... or does everyone else on this subforum think, "Yeah, there's no way that's [insert disease] when they read everyone else's post but their own"?

Re: Is it just me ...?

Kind of .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! I find it so easy to rationalise when looking at things in other people but can't see how stupid I'm being when I think I've got an aneurysm at 26!

If people had the "no way" attitude toward their own fears, the forum wouldn't exist.

It's why I hang out here. Seeing and being able to rationalize other people's issues helps me do my own. My psych says it's a good thing for me

It really highlights the distortion in your own thinking, doesn't it? It's as though my mind is cleaved in two, with one part able to rationalise and accept it could be HA while the other, more dominant part, goes, "Those symptoms match ALS, no way is this anxiety." It's exhausting.

ScaredLizard, I'm glad your psych thinks it's healthy to be on here. I was wondering about that

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredLizard View Post
    My psych says it's a good thing for me
    IMO, you're an exception SLizard. Most any Psych would discourage reassurance seeking behavior. Just the progress that can be seen in your posting history shows your personal victories over your anxiety and that you're mentally ready to challenge your irrational thoughts AND... having a real physical condition that many fear warrants a reasonable level of concern?... It's no different than what I deal with due to my real physical conditions.

Concerning the question? No... it's not just you.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 19-08-17 at 01:11.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    IMO, you're an exception SLizard. Just the progress that can be seen in your posting history shows that. AND... having a real physical condition that many fear warrants some concern... no different than what I deal with due to my real physical conditions.

Concerning the question? No... it's not just you.

Positive thoughts
    Yes I can totally see for some people it could be very bad to be here. But then there's folks like me and it's like 'huh.....I can see how off this thought process is and I know I have had that on occasion. Let's work to stop it' I've gotten better since my psych started doing probability vs possibility with me.

It is hard because I have a genetic disease that affects EVERYTHING so it's sometimes a bit overwhelming which I'm sure you understand with your own health issues and your wife's

I think ScaredLizard's psych was saying that helping others rationalise is what is good for her (him? Sorry, ScaredLizard).

But in general, I can't say I think reassurance-seeking behaviour is ever helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    I think ScaredLizard's psych was saying that helping others rationalise is what is good for her (him? Sorry, ScaredLizard).

But in general, I can't say I think reassurance-seeking behaviour is ever helpful.
    That's why I referred to her post history. And yes, reassurance behavior is ultimately detrimental.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information