Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Rabies fear: How to deal with it?

Not sure if I saw a bat or a black butterfly, rabies fear acting up again.

So I was looking out my door window, and I couldn't help but notice this weird flying thing near my garden. At first I thought it was a hummingbird or butterfly, from the way it would sort of hover around the plants, but it had wings that weren't like any butterfly I've ever seen, they were rather small, almost bird like. That's when I got worried at the possibility that it could be a tiny bat even though it was daytime. Mostly because the thing was black in color. When it flew over my house, I caught a glimpse of it's underside...I still couldn't really tell, It seemed to have some kind of yellow or white coloration, but I really couldn't be certain. I also saw it again in my front yard flying over the fence to my neighbor's house...

Right now I'm a little perturbed because I'm not sure if what I saw was a bat or not. It sort of flew low to the ground and glided sometimes. It kind of looked like a butterfly, but it didn't look like any other butterfly I've seen on Long Island.

Re: Not sure if I saw a bat or a black butterfly, rabies fear acting up again.

Let’s say just for discussion sake it was a bat....who the hell cares?!?! What difference does it make?

Quote Originally Posted by AMomentofClarity View Post
    Let’s say just for discussion sake it was a bat....who the hell cares?!?! What difference does it make?
    Potential rabies exposure is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NervousSubject View Post
    Potential rabies exposure is a difference.
    You have to have been bitten to be at risk

Looking at a bat isn’t going to give you Rabies and that’s if it even was a bat, which you don’t know for sure anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by utrocket09 View Post
    You have to have been bitten to be at risk
    Beat me to it...Yes this!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Bats are not bio-warfare bombs. Even if it was a bat flying over your house, it is not "exposure" to anything remotely dangerous.

You have HA and need to be tackling that, not some "googly-eyed" virus

Never Surrender, Comrade

The others are right....just seeing a bat poses no risk to you. Why do you think you should be fearful of that?

I mean, I get it. I have periodic rabies fear, and I know how the mind can full in details that never happened, how you can mis-remember, how you don't know what to trust. Is that what's happening to you?

To be fair to the OP they never mentioned a fear due to perceived exposure therefore saying it's impossible might be completely irrelevant. They may be fearing potential future exposures just as anyone who sees a mouse may think about Hantavirus or someone being triggered by a Daily Mail article.

The issue is the trigger.

OP - in the daytime it's very unlikely to be a bat. Butterflies aren't that large. Everything points to a bird.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219591

What are you doing to treat your anxiety? We have nough rabies threads now. More than enough! The link above says al there is to know. The rest should be up to the therapists. But us in here are not therapists.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information