Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabies fear: How to deal with it?

Re: Rabies fear: How to deal with it?

I have a very vague recollection that my dad used to LOVE that movie and would rent it ad nauseum from the library, but I for the life can't remember a thing about it :-)

All I can say is that my raccoons were bold little sh*ts that would stare me down in my own garage. They smelled really bad too, like their gross stench would linger.

They are really cute though!
    Last edited by NervUs; 29-08-17 at 04:00.

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    I think we USA-based hypochondriacs are giving you the wrong impression. Per google, there are only 1-3 human cases reported annually, and some of those cases were contracted by people traveling abroad. I cannot speak to how many people get the vaccines after exposure, as that saves just about all of the people who would otherwise have died- I have to imagine that # is also low.

We don't worry about the dog and cat population in the US since all pets (well, obviously depends on compliance by owners) are vaxed for rabies- the law says every 3 years. The cases of rabies come from wildlife. Bats, raccoons, foxes, and a few other critters are known as disease vectors.

A stray cat killed a bat and left it in my garage one night, and I actually had it tested. The officials there told me only about 1% of the tested bat population has rabies.

Wild animals with rabies are not present in every state. I believe its worse on the east coast of the US. IN my state (midwestern), only 11 animals were confirmed to have rabies in 2017 so far (so maybe 20 total). There have been no cases of rabies in my county, but there has been wildlife testing pos for rabies in counties that surround mine. Because of that, the counties on the periphery of those counties where there are documented cases have eradication efforts, and they leave vaccines out in the open where wild animals feed, so there is some vaccination of wild animals in my state and I am sure many others.

All of this information comes to you courtesy of countless hours spent learning about rabies. Googling is bad, yes, because it fuels the fear. But, I get genuinely interested in this stuff from an intellectual standpoint once I really get going. LOng story short, rabies is not much of a risk in the US but is not totally eradicated.

And as I've said a few times before, this massive anxiety I've had towards rabies has spiked this summer due to the fact that three bats tested positive a few towns away from where I live. This could just be because they're monitoring where I live (Long Island, NY) for rabies more this year because last year, a raccoon tested positive...

Quote Originally Posted by NervousSubject View Post
    And as I've said a few times before, this massive anxiety I've had towards rabies has spiked this summer due to the fact that three bats tested positive a few towns away from where I live. This could just be because they're monitoring where I live (Long Island, NY) for rabies more this year because last year, a raccoon tested positive...
    BUt, three tested positive out of how many bats tested and of what number of total bats in your area?

The testing that they do really tells us nothing, since they are not getting random samples. I don't know that the numbers really mean anything.

What means something is actually knowing without a flicker of doubt that a bat/raccoon/possum/fox/whatever actually bit you. THen, sure, worry.

You expressed that this did NOT happen to you, though, so you must see this is all an overactive imagination working through the power of suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by NervUs View Post
    I have a very vague recollection that my dad used to LOVE that movie and would rent it ad nauseum from the library, but I for the life can't remember a thing about it :-)

All I can say is that my raccoons were bold little sh*ts that would stare me down in my own garage. They smelled really bad too, like their gross stench would linger.

They are really cute though!
    A classic family comedy, John Candy & Dan Ackroyd. Two families staying in a log cabin in the woods and there is a big bald bear that stalks the woods...ending in John Candy following up on his dad's shot (blew the hair off her head) which blows the hair off her bum!

They are like that in the film. No matter how they protect their rubbish, the raccoons have seen it all before and still get at it.

I wish that someone could make a "Why you don't have rabies" stickied post like they had on AnxietyZone before they shut down :P....It would seriously help me and and many others out dealing with this.

I wish that someone could make a "Why you don't have rabies" stickied post like they had on AnxietyZone before they shut down :P....It would seriously help me and and many others out dealing with this.
    Well... because basically it's a yes or no answer. Were you actually bitten by a rabid animal? Based on the overwhelming evidence that no one posting about this fear has been bitten or has been in close intimate contact with such an animal the answer is NO, you don't have rabies. Besides you're still here right?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Imagine all the stickies we would need on here to cover rabies, HIV, cancers, ALS, etc.

But at the heart of them there is likely a very similiar issue and that's the issue to be tackling. The theme shifts, the underlying issue is the same.

Can't you use the Wayback Machine to get at the old sticky you mention?

We need a "why you don't have rabies", "why you don't have brain eating amoeba" and "why you don't have schizophrenia" on here. And maybe throw in a "why you won't spontaneously combust" for good measure.

You sound totally irrational to someone not in the throes of this fear. Look, I get it, I keep thinking I have ALS because the same person at the hospital manages my condition and the ALS clinic. But just because you have some bats in your county doesn't mean you could have got rabies from them. It's the wrong kind of proximity! Can you access the reasonable being that lives deep within you?
    Also if you are even using the phrase "prodromal" you are too far down the rabbit hole. Really.

Okay, so last Monday, I had to hold my basement door open for somebody at around dusk/nighttime. It was unusually warm that week, so I actually saw a bat flying around my tree...but that's actually not what worries me this time. I know I did not make contact with the actual bat I saw, but when I was opening the door, I could have sworn I heard some kind of squeaking sound and now I'm terrified of the possibility that the squeaking I heard was a bat that was near my head or whatever and now I'm going to die soon of rabies.

For the past few days, I'd had a sour stomach and I cant help but think that this is how it begins :( I wish there was something that debunks my fear but I honestly fear this is it :(

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information