Thread: Will sertraline work eventually

Will sertraline work eventually

Hi I've been on this for a week now, been really having a tough time with anxiety, a constant feeling in my stomach and chest and then the dread and panic, I am not sure if these pils are making things worse or what, there have been times I have felt like I am loosing control or going to loose my sanity, but I am still here, its a struggle, I just dont know whether to continue with these pils or go through the tough weeks to see some light at the end of the tunnel,

Re: Will sertraline work eventually

Hello,

They do say to give medication at least a month to see if it has effect. The problem with medication is that side effects kick in before any positive effects may show themselves. I remember reading the reason for this was something to do with the brain seeing a spike or decrease in the chemicals and then trying to block them or increase the amount but after a certain period (which is why they typically say a month) the brain kind of accepts it I suppose and the chemical levels the medication is trying to alter will begin to change. That's when the medication will begin to show effect if it's the right medication for you.

Dealing with side effects can be tough and sometimes we do need a bit of help coping with these side effects, if you can try and tough it out until you reach the point you will possibly see positive changes and if you feel the side effects are too much for you then you can always see your doctor or whoever you typically see and ask for a bit of help with them.

Thank you for replying Elad, its much appreciated :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian123 View Post
    Hi I've been on this for a week now, been really having a tough time with anxiety, a constant feeling in my stomach and chest and then the dread and panic, I am not sure if these pils are making things worse or what, there have been times I have felt like I am loosing control or going to loose my sanity, but I am still here, its a struggle, I just dont know whether to continue with these pils or go through the tough weeks to see some light at the end of the tunnel,
    I've been on em for about 3 yrs.
    Dr said to start at 50mg but I started on 25mg for a week then went to 50mg.
    Took 6 weeks of debilitating side effects to work but once past that they're great.
    Still on 50mg.
    I think some Drs prescribe too high a dose too fast.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks for the reply phil, doctor started me on 50mg, going onto my second week with them now.

Hi Brian,

Maybe we can help each other to go thru this beginning.
    I am on day 8 (5 days on 25mg and 3 days on 50mg). Side effects were mild on my first week on 25mg, but I've been feeling more anxious than I was before I started taking it. I feel I look calm from the outside, but my anxiety is "boiling" inside. Had the worst morning Today. I felt like a zombie, no will to move, nausea, bursted into tears and I was really really afraid of taking the 50mg pill again, but I took and I feel way better now (still feeling spacey thou and I need to force myself to eat).

I did feel some benefits on my first week. I was more calm and able to enjoy things that I wouldn't before because my mind was always racing (and a 24/7 head pressure). These moments didn't last long, but I am hopeful they're going to happen more often as soon as this thing kicks in.

How are you feeling Today?

Hi there Ava, I am having the same things as you, as soon as I wake the anxiety kicks in, but then again, that probably isnt the pils, as anxiety works like that, the racing mind freaks me out, its like I cant get any thoughts into my mind and I'm going into some sore of meltdown, but it does eventually subside if I try to calm myself down with talk down relaxation audio, I've also been waking from a nap with this weird fuzzy feeling and like am detached from the world, its a really weird and scary feeling, I've had anxiety before and never had these weird feelings, also getting the weird spaced out feeling, and as for the racing mind, it used to happen in the past, but seems worse on the pils, I so hope it all calms down eventually, I just keep telling myself I am not going mad or loosing my mind, its like a living nightmare, god know what makes us go on.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

weirdly at night I seem to be a bit more relaxed, I dont know why that is, maybe I should try taking the pils at night, I am not even sure it is the pils, thats the problem, how can you tell

Quote Originally Posted by Brian123 View Post

weirdly at night I seem to be a bit more relaxed, I dont know why that is, maybe I should try taking the pils at night, I am not even sure it is the pils, thats the problem, how can you tell
    I think this is pretty common in depression and/or anxiety.

Claire Weekes mentioned this in her "Self Help for your Nerves" book and it made me realise it was quite normal (for Depression/Anxiety).

Even when I was at my worst, I nearly always felt better at night. Sometimes I felt so OK by bedtime that I'd almost think I was back to my normal self, but I'd wake up the next day with the familiar fear and agitation.

I can't help regarding the Sertraline, but I did take Citalopram for a few days and that definitely made my anxiety and agitation worse, so much so that I stopped taking it.

I hope you manage to ride it out and get some benefit from it. There is light at the end of the tunnel - this illness makes you feel like you'll never get better, but you will.

I'm super sensitive to drugs, but I gave the 20 days. It did calm down my spinning brain and the crying stopped.

The other side of the coin? I felt like I had an alien in my head, the physical side effects I just couldn't cope with them.

I chose to work with my therapist and use what she taught me and I mean I worked hard, and I got better.

Good luck!

Yes, hang in there

Thread Information