Thread: CBT for Hyper Responsibility

CBT for Hyper Responsibility

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with anxiety but it definitely has an OCD edge which mainly revolves around feeling hyper-responsible towards others safety and wellbeing - worrying that I may inadvertently be responsible for harm coming to someone by making a mistake or misjudgement with something. This extends to drudging up events from the past as well as worrying about things as they happen.

I've been referred to receive CBT which I'm really hopeful will help. I'm keep to hear from any others with similar anxieties how they found CBT and if it worked for them. I also wondered how it deals with past worries as well as just current ones, as I've spent so long going over them in my mind I've reinforced them into a really big deal!

Lastly, there's one thing I can't get my head around with the concept of being/not being responsible - I read that you need to let go of the idea that you are responsible for others wellbeing but my mind keeps asking why not; so say I see water on the floor and don't report it and someone slips then surely I'm at least partly responsible? I've read that reporting it could be classed as a compulsion, and that avoiding certain activities that could potentially cause harm would also be a compulsion, but where do you draw the line between avoiding doing compulsions and actually just being sensible?

Thanks

Re: CBT for Hyper Responsibility

I suppose a guide to whether you are responsible is could you be sued if anything happened?

Thread Information