Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming off Citalopram Cold Turkey - Not Recommended!!

Coming off Citalopram Cold Turkey - Not Recommended!!

As the title suggests, I decided that the medication was no longer doing me any use. With the help of the medication I have overcome my issues to the point where I feel I can cope without them.

This week, I reached the end of my current perscription, and with things going great I felt theor wasn't really a need to renew the perscription. This is something I am now starting to regret a little.

When you read on the net that these things aren't supposed to be just "stopped", they aren't exagerating.

My last tablet was about 6 days and I currently feel like crap. Never felt anything like it. I feel like I've got THE worse head cold in existence with everything from Headache, Dizzyness, Tiredness, Nasal Congestion and REALLY weird "brain pops" as I call them.

All this is normal (so I've read) but I thought I'd post this as a warning to those in a similar situation....when they say you should Wean off the meds....they aren't lying!!

I'm not sure there's a way to speed up this process so I'm just going to have to ride it out. Sleeping through it seems to be the best thing, but I'm at work atm, so sleeping is out of the question.

I could pickup my perscription and go back on a low dose, but I feel that I've put up with feeling like poo for so long that I might as well stick it out now.

As my withdrawl feels like Flu, does anyone know if paracetamol will null the feeling any?

Re: Coming off Citalopram Cold Turkey - Not Recommended!!

Hi I came of citalopram last year,and came off very slowly,I was on 60 mg.I still felt like poo.
    After 3 months my symptoms returned.I had to go back on them.Im now on 20 mg.Im really glad I went back on them.

I only took 4 days worth of it and came off it yesturday,
    feeling very washed out and tierd.

I cant imagine how it feels for you ? Why dont you ast your gp what you can take to help you ?

Hiya,

I was on 10mg of citalopram and was doing really well, so decided that I would stop them, and did it by going 'cold turkey' .............. woah huge mistake I lasted 6 months before I couldnt even leave the house I should have weaned myself off but i thought I knew best lol.

Well I am now back on the 10mg a day again and next time I decided I am ready to stop them I will do it with my doctors advice, because I am so not going down that path again.

Love

Trac xxxx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

I thought I'd be OK, the first few days were great, but today I feel like complete pooooop.

I'll get my new perscription tonight and go back on them. It's been lass than a week off, do you think I'll be able to hop straight back on at 20mg without much trouble?

I'm pretty sure it would stay in your system for quite a while but I really think it's best to ask a pharmacist/doctor for proper advice about weaning yourself off them.

I would never ever recommend going cold turkey - you will feel rubbish for a while.

Never do this!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I would never ever recommend going cold turkey - you will feel rubbish for a while.

Never do this!
    Sadly for me this was a lesson learnt the hard way. It was one of those "how bad could it be?" thoughts.

The answer is "REALLY BAD!".

I'm actually not too bad today. Still feel like I've got a head full or cotton wool and that I'm sitting on a rollercoaster. It comes in waves now, sometimes dizzy, sometimes a tiny bit of nausea, sometimes a headache. It changes every 30mins. All the time with brain pops.

Unlike the last few days though I can feel that this is clearing.
    However, I might just go back on the Citalopram again then wean off properly. This feeling, although better, could last weeks still.

I came off it cold turkey too, a few years ago.

It was like the worst sickness I'd ever had, I felt like I was going to die. I felt sick but couldn't throw up. I felt as weak as a kitten and I'm a big strong guy usually! It was horrible but worth it in the long run.

Surround yourself with friends that care and that can be part of the battle won. It worked for me. I'll never be totally better but I'm ok with where I'm at right now.

Take Care

Gordon

Hi guys.

My boyfriends been on citalopram for probably around 6months...
    when he first when on them (10mg) he was depressed (along with other things).

Yesterday he told me he'd only got 1 left, and i said to him why don't you stop taking them for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Basically, hes lot better than he ever has been since he started taking them, i mean, he was really at rock bottom when he first when to his GP.
    Now, he's not depressed and he knows how to control his other problems.

I just wondered if everyone that went cold turkey thought it was eventually worth it?

I really don't think he needs to take them anymore but he's abit reluctant to keep going back to his GP.

Last time he went was about a month ago, and they said carry on for another 6 months (20mg) ...which i thinks aload of crap really but hey.

Just wanted some peoples advise and stories??

Thankyou

Lauren

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information