Thread: Long Haul Flight

Long Haul Flight

I am going on a long haul flight on Friday (8 hours) panic, claustrophobia and fear of DVT (a very fit friend of mine died DVT - long haul flight Australia to London). I have bought the socks, download videos on my phone, EFT advice but nothing seems to be working and at this moment. I really don't mind losing the money. I have my daughter with me so I am not flying alone but the panic comes in such strong waves I can breathe or see straight.

Re: Long Haul Flight

Hi Beth.
    I have been on several long haul flights, I have been in your position,is this your first flight? I listen to relaxation CD's and take a small dose of diazepam before boarding,DVT on a 8 hour flight is rare,wear the compression socks and keep stretching your legs.
    Don't back out on your flight,you will be giving in too your fear.

Lola x.

Hi Lola,

thank you. It is my first long flight in 24 years. I have flight socks.
    But I can't kick the fear. I have decided not to go.

Oh Beth that is a shame, I did the same thing,was going over to the states 20yrs ago and backed out, I did have travel insurance so was lucky. I bit the bullet and went the following year I was scared s@@@less but once I took my diazepam settled down and really enjoyed the flight I didn't need anything for the flight home and now I love flying, I hope you overcome your fear and be able too go and see the world with your daughter.

Lola

My daughter was so so so disappointed in me. I became angry with everyone, no one was grasping the fear aspect, it was logic versus fear, I was considered stupid and a disappointment. It was unpleasant to say the least. As the flight is tomorrow I'm going to take each moment and get hold of the fear and see what happens.

As much as my daughter was disappointed with me. I was disappointed with her.

Hi Beth.
    Don't feel like you have disappointed anyone,your daughter will get over it,and in time when you conquer your fears she will understand.
    I don't like when someone calls you stupid,let them walk in your shoes then make a comment.
    Try not too be hard on yourself.

Unhappy Re: Long Haul Flight

I read the thread about fear of long-haul flying because of DVT's and I wish that was my only fear. I have suffered for years with panic attacks just by thinking about going on vacation somewhere. A few days ago my brother and his wife invited my husband and I and another couple to go to coaster Rica. The panic set in as soon as I pictured myself being that far away from home, I live in the states, Florida. Why does this happen to me? Why do I get anxiety when I picture myself being away from home ? I have been on other trips and the same thing happens to me. It doesn't matter where I go, even if I am a few hours from home and have to spend the night somewhere. I can't shake this and at the same time I am missing out on so much in life. I have tried Ativan, natural therapy for panic attacks etc. . Would anyone believe that although the Ativan is effective, just taking it gives me a panic attack? Trust me, I know how messed up that sounds, I just don't know where to turn or what to do. I have been dealing with this most of my adult life.

Thread Information