Thread: Scared of Subungual melanoma (Under nail)

Scared of Subungual melanoma (Under nail)

Hi All,

My story:

I have suffered form Anxiety massively over the last year ,i had chest pains and this went on for some time and of course i worried about heart issues that eventually led to lung cancer and ended up all clear.

Sadly i thought i was over all that but its become apparent im not as i have been giving my partner a terrible time with the usual health anxiety problems.

The reason i am posting today is i found a brownish blur under my middle right toenail with a dark black dot (And a couple of faint black dots) .

Its been there 2 weeks and hasnt changed , it doesnt hurt when pressed or look like a bruise.

As i couldnt get a appointment for my GP for 2 weeks we saw a hospital GP last nigth and he has referred me on urgent 2 weeks referral for suspected Melonoma.

Im scared to death, im 32 and have only just started to find my feet in life with a good partner and good job , we was due to go on our first holiday to teneriffe on September 2nd.

I read that the prognosis of this kind of cancer (Specifically under the nail) is very poor and poor survival rates.

Has anybody suffered anything similar and turned out to be nothing?

Im clutching a straws to keep my anxiety in check as its put an enormous amount of strain on our relationship already in the past and i think i could lose her if im not careful :(

Re: Scared of Subungual melanoma (Under nail)

There are a lot of things that can cause discoloration in finger nails. Including injury you don't remember. I've had blood blisters and bruises under my nail that led to me having to wait for it to grow out. It's good to get it checked out but don't immediately jump to cancer I know it's hard though so you have huge hugs from me. I went through a scare involving biopsies and a lumpectomy and that was scary too.

Just know there are a lot of things it could be too.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredLizard View Post
    There are a lot of things that can cause discoloration in finger nails. Including injury you don't remember. I've had blood blisters and bruises under my nail that led to me having to wait for it to grow out. It's good to get it checked out but don't immediately jump to cancer I know it's hard though so you have huge hugs from me. I went through a scare involving biopsies and a lumpectomy and that was scary too.

Just know there are a lot of things it could be too.
    Thank you, i think the doctor didnt help ease my worries as he said it definitively wasnt a bruise or fungus and it was something he had never seen before but on the form he has wrote Subungal Mole :(

What did it end up being?

Thread Information