Thread: So done with it

Unhappy So done with it

Everyday i think to myself, today i'm just going to say f*** anxiety and completely disregard it. I've been afraid of something bad happening for sooo long now and it has never ever happened. Not even close. I've thought a million times i was on the verge of going crazy or losing control and it has never happened.. even my psychologist says it really won't happen.

But i still fear it just as much? how does that even work.. I'm frustrated with myself that i let anxiety control my life and everything i do. Why can't i be stronger than that... I have a great life and i'm young and healthy, i have summer vacation now but i can't really enjoy it because of anxiety..

Does getting over anxiety and panic always have to be a long progress? Because realistically if one could completely disregard all symptoms of anxiety it would fade away very quickly right? I guess it's not that easy

Re: So done with it

Panda, you echo everything I feel, and I am sure many many other sufferers of this wicked condition. 4 months ago, I was just a regular guy going about life with little care or worries. Retired early, moved to France to live the dream, mortgage free, cash in the bank, good health, happily married, great kids etc etc. Then, without warning it strikes and my life feels like hell. Mental torture and all self inflicted. Why can't I turn this off I ask myself over and over.

I've had problems in the distant past with anxiety, but had been free for 8 years. On both occasions I recovered but in my case it took time. I cling onto the hope that I will recover again. You need to trust in the process that you too will recover. It's good you are talking to someone, that will help. i pray your recovery is speedy

I think it's because we don't "completely disregard" it. We may think we are but are not quite actually doing it. I think it was Claire Weekes who said we must be carefully we are not merely "putting up" with it. There is a great difference between gritting your teeth and saying sod it, do your damn worst and really accepting it. Floating through it, as she said.

It's very difficult though to accept it, I've never managed it :( I prefer the distraction method.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    Panda, you echo everything I feel, and I am sure many many other sufferers of this wicked condition. 4 months ago, I was just a regular guy going about life with little care or worries. Retired early, moved to France to live the dream, mortgage free, cash in the bank, good health, happily married, great kids etc etc. Then, without warning it strikes and my life feels like hell. Mental torture and all self inflicted. Why can't I turn this off I ask myself over and over.

I've had problems in the distant past with anxiety, but had been free for 8 years. On both occasions I recovered but in my case it took time. I cling onto the hope that I will recover again. You need to trust in the process that you too will recover. It's good you are talking to someone, that will help. i pray your recovery is speedy
    what did you do 8 years ago did you take meds?????????? then take them again if not good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Panda22 View Post
    Everyday i think to myself, today i'm just going to say f*** anxiety and completely disregard it. I've been afraid of something bad happening for sooo long now and it has never ever happened. Not even close. I've thought a million times i was on the verge of going crazy or losing control and it has never happened.. even my psychologist says it really won't happen.

But i still fear it just as much? how does that even work.. I'm frustrated with myself that i let anxiety control my life and everything i do. Why can't i be stronger than that... I have a great life and i'm young and healthy, i have summer vacation now but i can't really enjoy it because of anxiety..

Does getting over anxiety and panic always have to be a long progress? Because realistically if one could completely disregard all symptoms of anxiety it would fade away very quickly right? I guess it's not that easy
    In theory it sounds easy but if it WERE that easy in practice psychologists and therapists would go out of business very quickly...and that hasn't happened, far from it.
    Putting pressure on yourself to "recover" just adds adrenaline to an already overcharged nervous system. I've always found distraction nigh on impossible but acknowledgement of feelings and not being hard on myself for feeling as I do gives me some leeway and makes me feel better about myself.

It's not a question of being "stronger"- anxiety can easily overwhelm you but your own response to the thoughts and feelings provoked by it can be so crucial in managing it successfully.

Pulisa - your insightful responses to these issues are so helpful. I was particularly struck by your last sentence. I guess we somehow, eventually find the strength to manage those scary thoughts and feelings. I am still at the stage where I am like the proverbial frightened rabbit - anxious thought - freeze in fear.

This evening my wife wanted to go out for a meal. I was panic stricken at the thought, my mind racing about how would I cope. However, I went out and actually relaxed sufficiently to almost enjoy it. I focused on my breathing and concentrated hard on our conversation. I feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that I managed myself this evening

That's a huge achievement, Fidget!! You see, all is not lost and you are going to rise above this anxiety episode, because that's what it is although it must seem a hell of a lot worse to you.

I try to think how boring my anxious thoughts are-almost the "not again-yawn" scenario. I don't always succeed but I know that the frightened rabbit response is guaranteed to escalate spiralling thoughts and before I know it I'm into worse case scenario territory.

You did so well this evening, Fidget, and I hope you manage to get a bit more restful sleep tonight because you've made real progress today.

Thread Information